Any Kia or Hyundai Owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
UNGN, I actually cover the automotive electronics market, and in some ways, I'd say the Koreans are ahead of the Japanese. They seem to be much more competitive and aggressive, whereas the Japanese seem to be a lot more conservative and consensus-oriented. They're already way ahead of the Japanese when it comes to display technology, and I think it goes without saying they're crushing it in mobile devices, battery-gate aside. :)

Nov 4, 2012

The new Camrys look absolutely badass. Plus 300 HP out of the V6 is nothing to sneeze at, either.

Other than new car smell ( and payment ) is there a reason why not to buy out the existing lease on the Camry he has now ?

Financially it doesn't make much sense to buy out of the lease, and he likes the car, but he's not super in-love with it, either. I think his previous Camry was a little more ergonomic for him.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
UNGN, I actually cover the automotive electronics market, and in some ways, I'd say the Koreans are ahead of the Japanese. They seem to be much more competitive and aggressive, whereas the Japanese seem to be a lot more conservative and consensus-oriented. They're already way ahead of the Japanese when it comes to display technology, and I think it goes without saying they're crushing it in mobile devices, battery-gate aside. :)

There is a Korean Joke that goes something Like this:

Americans were trying to talk to each other over long distances. They dug into the ground. Found Copper and strung their whole country with copper wires - Telephone!

Japanese saw this. Dug all over their country looking for copper, but all they found was sand. They thought about it, turned the sand into glass and strung the whole country with it - Fiber Optics!

Koreans saw this. They dug for copper all over their county and found none. They dug for sand all over their country but found none. They thought about it and then shrugged their shoulders - "Wireless it is!"

I spent a week in Seoul in 2002 and 1/2 the people walking on the street had their faces buried in their phones. I could tell immediately that was the future. Sure this is a common occurrence for the last 10 or so years in the US, but 15 years ago, no way.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
View attachment 81656
I'm on my second Kia Soul I had a 2010 and now I have 2017 soul turbo and I love it never had any problems just routine mantnence grate car

The Kia Soul could be the best car in the world and my dad still wouldn't drive one, it's a little too much "toaster on wheels" for him.

My mother bought a Hyundai Excel when they first came out, I think it was 86. She hasn't had a different brand since and has had 5 of them since then with no major problems with any of them.

Makes me wonder what a mint condition first year Hyundai Excel would be worth? There can't be very many of them around.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Onehit, surprised your mom had a positive experience with an '86 Excel. All I ever hear about are the reliability nightmare stories with the early Hyundais. And ironically, per joesregalproject, supposedly quality improved in the mid 2000s. Goes to show you there are always exceptions to the rule.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
My wife bought a brand new Kia Forte a couple of years ago and she loves it !!
It's got a six speed and all the bells and whistles that comes with that model.
I've driven it and it is a great car to drive.Got lots of power,shifts great,good brakes and rides and handles real nice.
We had it undercoated by my buddy and he does a fantastic job,takes every panel,light housing,etc. off.He spent a couple of days on it,so hopefully it wont rust from the road salt used in Nova Scotia any time soon.
We also make sure that maintenance gets done as per the owners manual.
Guy

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
motorheadmike, Haha! For being a commodity midsize commuter, the Camry kind of sets the standard. With the V-6, it's quick, but ultimately, still a commodity midsize sedan. Yeah, the Kia Stinger looks promising. The upcoming Genesis G70 is based on the same platform, but with a slightly shorter wheelbase and a notchback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor