Any Kia or Hyundai Owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sedona was gold and it didn't work out so well. The best cars my folks have had were white, blue and silver.

I'd actually like to get my dad into a pickup so he can stop borrowing mine, but he's always had sedans and I don't know how much he'd like a truck. If he does go for a pickup its guaranteed to be a new F150, Tacoma, or Tundra, depending on what he likes best and how the numbers work out. Otherwise, it's probably gonna be Camry or Accord.

Accords have that ultra lame CVT trans. That's an instant hard no for me.

Accords have that ultra lame CVT trans. That's an instant hard no for me.

CVT's are like a countdown clock. When the Clock reaches zero and the CVT is toast. You leave the keys in the ignition and walk away.

It would probably only cost $20 in parts out of a Chinese child labor camp to fix one, but nobody does.

• Agree
Reactions: fleming442
The newest 2.0T Accord is a 10-sp automatic. You can also get it with a 6-speed manual(!) Yep, even in this day and age, you can still get midsize sedans with sticks! Only the 1.5T has the CVT.

Are the CVT's that bad? I know they started experimenting with them in the 1970's as potential future auto transmissions.

Are the CVT's that bad? I know they started experimenting with them in the 1970's as potential future auto transmissions.

Not really anymore. There were some horror stories in the early days, and subjectively, a lot of people don't like the driving experience, as they keep the engine at a fixed RPM, so you do kind of get the "drone" effect. The newer ones have simulated shifts and ratios to make them feel more like conventional automatics. I've personally never owned one.

My mom's 2015 Subaru Outback has a CVT, 50,000 miles no issues so far. I prefer a conventional automatic, but we better get used to them, because they are all going to CVTs sooner or later.

My wife test drove a Rogue w/ cvt a few years ago. I thought the simulated shifts were the dumbest thing EVER. Just as bad, it had a "manual" mode. :blam:

Yeah, kind of "dumbing it down." Evidently, they started adding the simulated shift points because owners would complain and bring their cars in and complain that the transmissions were "broken." :doh:

My wife test drove a Rogue w/ cvt a few years ago. I thought the simulated shifts were the dumbest thing EVER. Just as bad, it had a "manual" mode. :blam:

Nissans are supposedly some of the worst CVTs available. I'd drive a few other CVT cars before forming an opinion on them.

A lot of other companies buy Nissan's CVTs, though. Jatco is owned by Nissan, and they're one of the biggest suppliers of CVTs.

If you're bringing hybrids into the conversation, the CVTs used in hybrids are a different animal. They use electric motors instead of the variable pulley system used with ICE CVTs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor