Any Kia or Hyundai Owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
motorheadmike, Haha! For being a commodity midsize commuter, the Camry kind of sets the standard. With the V-6, it's quick, but ultimately, still a commodity midsize sedan. Yeah, the Kia Stinger looks promising. The upcoming Genesis G70 is based on the same platform, but with a slightly shorter wheelbase and a notchback.

Unfortunately, neither are my style. I am all about the smiles per gallon - the TBSS tells me it is getting 8.6mpg combined. Kids leaving school don't rubber-neck for a KIA, but a supercharged 6.0L with the cutout open - that gets 'em every time.

Maybe Joe's Dad should try a new Camaro - even the V6 is peppy.

Nov 4, 2012
Maybe Joe's Dad should try a new Camaro - even the V6 is peppy.

Believe me, I've tried. The Camaro and Mustangs were flat out "no"s. My dad hates Chrysler on a personal level so the challenger and Charger weren't even options. I got him to look at a Taurus SHO and he kinda liked it, and he also liked the Regal T. We test drove a Chevy SS last summer while they were still on the lots mostly for fun and I'm pretty sure my dad was scared of it. He hadn't driven a stick shift since the late 80s and he dumped the clutch and the car jumped forward so hard he was afraid to take it past 3rd gear.

My dad just isn't a car guy. He likes conservatively styled cars. He wants something that is easy to drive and will get him to work and church reliably while getting decent gas mileage. Thus, Camry.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
So your Dad is the human equivalent of plain oatmeal?

I am guessing your Mom is a red-head because you had to get the speed bug from somewhere. ;)

Nov 4, 2012
So your Dad is the human equivalent of plain oatmeal?

I am guessing your Mom is a red-head because you had to get the speed bug from somewhere. ;)

Nah, my dad just doesn't care much for cars. His hobby are guns and woodworking and he stays pretty busy with them. My mom is a brunette, and I've got no idea where the go-fast gene came from. I don't have any aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, or any relatives that are into cars. They see me pulling engines out and lifting truck cabs up in the driveway and they all think I'm nuts, lol!

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The Kia Soul could be the best car in the world and my dad still wouldn't drive one, it's a little too much "toaster on wheels" for him.

Makes me wonder what a mint condition first year Hyundai Excel would be worth? There can't be very many of them around.
The Soul is very ugly. The early Hyundai's were awful. The Stinger looks great and the Genisis is also nice. I am very tempted by the Genesis G80 4 door with the 5L Tau GDI 420 hp V8, it is supposed to be a world-class motor and the car as well. There is a reason the big three aren't as dominant as they use to be, the competition has improved on so many fronts.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
Maybe the key is color for picking a new car, like black with gold or vice versa. The eye appeal may make it easier.
View attachment 81767

The Sedona was gold and it didn't work out so well. The best cars my folks have had were white, blue and silver.

I'd actually like to get my dad into a pickup so he can stop borrowing mine, but he's always had sedans and I don't know how much he'd like a truck. If he does go for a pickup its guaranteed to be a new F150, Tacoma, or Tundra, depending on what he likes best and how the numbers work out. Otherwise, it's probably gonna be Camry or Accord.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor