442 Any of y'all as stupid as I am about the sun fading emblems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Just don't park it outside ever again. Lock it away in the garage with 2 car covers on it and inside one of those plastic climate controlled bubbles and never look at it or show it to anyone ever again. The world isn't worthy to gaze upon it anyhow. That ought to keep them from fading out. Seriously though I've got no real solution other than to minimize exposure to strong direct sunlight.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Not much you can do about the fading so For Get About It and enjoy and drive the car. Nothing wrong with having a little fading on a part or a nick in the paint on a low mileage survivor car. Don't let it bother you

Reactions: 1 users

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
I wouldn't think a few hours under ol Sol would devastate the emblems if the car is inside most of the time. You might become suicidal if you had to pull the nose emblem and discovered the paint not covered by it had faded. You don't see reduced bidding on Ferarri Daytonas at Bonhams because they sat on the golf course in the sun before rolling across the block.

Nov 4, 2012
Take that tape off and quit worrying. Emblems fade, paint gets scratched, rubber cracks, metal rusts, seals leak.

For 30-some years old that car is looking pretty damn good and there are cars that are much newer that look a lot worse. If your emblems fade a little, in the grand scheme of things, I don't think it'll make a difference. Go enjoy your car.

• Agree

shanghaismith

Greasemonkey
Mar 5, 2010
Macon, GA
Dragged the 87 out of the shop today and washed off all the dust and crap off it after bringing it back to life. Nice day, near 60 degrees. When I bring it outside and let it sit in the sun, I take careful measures to tape off the tail light rockets and the nose rocket to help prevent it from fading in the sun. Am I the only one that retarded or has anyone else done this? ....

View attachment 103438
Before I retired I ran a sign shop and UV damage was a concern. We used a product called frog juice and I was pleased with the look and performance of this stuff. I used it on signs and vehicle graphics and I think it would be worth a try. Here is a link
http://www.artisticdesignsystems.com/frogjuice.html

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Before I retired I ran a sign shop and UV damage was a concern. We used a product called frog juice and I was pleased with the look and performance of this stuff. I used it on signs and vehicle graphics and I think it would be worth a try. Here is a link
http://www.artisticdesignsystems.com/frogjuice.html
Hmm. Interesting. I'll look into that. Worth a try. Can spritz the clear plastic overlays and it probably wouldn't even be noticeable.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I'm doing my part in keeping the hobby alive. Even if it's on life support. :)

I am going to use the car more often. Because when I die, the wife is surely going to sell a bunch of my crap for what she thinks I paid for stuff. And then she'll lose out. I'm pretty sure if I decided to sell the car, I'd have no problem getting my money back on it.

My philosophy as well but I definitely think about sun fade when it is exposed...

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
If you go as far as the emblems why not do the tail lights head lights etc. I guess what I'm saying is that everyone takes measures to protect what they have. Sun (UV) can destroy things including your body. I hate looking at motor homes - trailers - cars that the sun has turned the paint chalky and destroys graphics. My defense has been a good UV polish a couple of times a year which has done the trick for me over the years. I too am some what anal, covering my motor-home and trailer for the winters and using canopies and covers at the track.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Kinda reminds me of my old man. Since 2002 he has had cars with leather seats but has always covered them with a ratty sheep fur seat covers(say that three times). These seat covers have been in use 30 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor