any vinyl wrap g bodies here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeggieGbody

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2010
tennessee
pontiacgp said:
the problem with the vinyl coverings if you change the color of your car get expected to get pulled over cause your car doesn't match the description on it's registration

thats happened to me alot my white 81 used to be green. they say it comes back to a green car. i said i had it painted white he said ok and left

beenen

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
picked up a heat gun today..also gonna figure out how much it will be for the material to cover the monte..gonna try to attempt this is the next couple of weeks if the warm weather holds up

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
I found this In Car & Driver about how they do Stock Cars. They don't have moldings and bumpers ,door handles .
I would bet you could strip down a G Body prep it properly and do a wrap,It would probably take someone that has the skills and experience .
The sky is the limit on colors and graphics. Could be kinda cool.
Car Craft did a old Impala They said It cost them $3400 For a flame job. A single color $1900 -$3000 so It's about the same as paint.

Attachments

• imagesCAXZ5RST.jpg
    imagesCAXZ5RST.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 1,698

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
The stuff isn't cheap.

Close to $700 for everything to cover a normal sized car.

While that's cheaper than repainting a car, that's still a lot of money to throw as something just to see what it would look like or to change after a few years.

Also notice that these cars they are putting these wraps on have decent paint to begin with. If you've got a lot of rust, rust holes, body damage, etc. it's not going to hide any of that.

beenen

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
yeah i was reading up on that topic today and saw about $500 or more..if it does end up being around that much, I won't do it and just give it a regular paintjob

Lowproelco

Greasemonkey
Jul 19, 2011
So Cal
bro it is cool but it does take quite a bit of skill to do it.. i worked at a graphics place and we wrapped cars like this.. it took about a month or two and a few cars and trials to get it perfect.. doin a hood is one thang, but quarter panels that curve and door handles and what not... best to leave it to the pros to do it.. plus if they do it should come with a warranty incase they do mess up and it starts to peel early... just like tint... sure you could try it but for the price nd garantee have them do it....

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
The other issue is that most are only guaranteed for 3-4 years of use. Not that great for longevity when I proper paint job should last you a lot longer.

GBodyShop

Apprentice
Jan 14, 2007
NYC
I'm thinking of the same thing on my 87 MCSS Aero. My plan is to cover one panel at a time. so the cost comes over time. not one big shot $800 bill. Start with :

1 ) Hood
2 ) Trunk and wing
3 ) Front fender L Then R
4 ) Door L Then R
5 ) Front Bumper
6 ) Rear Bumper
7 ) Roof Top
8 ) Quarters L then R

The trick will be the roof going into the quaters, this is why i am leaving for last. Plus the quarters will cover the rocker panel. Roof top cover the "A pillar" and around Quarters Windows.

But I also heard some good things. Yes they are vinyls that last about 3-4 years, but just like mostly everything else in the aftermarket world, you get what you pay for. So there are some vinyls that can last up to 10 years. Now think of this for a sec. Lets say you replace you vinyl in 8 years. most of us really want to hold are cars until we are dead and buried with our pride and joys. But sometimes it really does not happen that way and life don't plan out the way we want it.

But for the lucky few who can stay with your rides for 24+ years. Wraping your car once ever 8 Years and pay about $1,000 to $1,500 for a better vinyl the total cost in 2012 prices. Just like most repairs a simple replacement of a small section will not cost as must as much. I do know vinyl is not what most of us want. but there are a few of us that will suit us just fine on keeping are cars more on the road then some damn resto guy promising us" Yeah I will have in 2 more months" Then to come to find out it has been over a year and they guy is just 1/2 way through it. Been then, done that, twice :(. different body guys too. My bad luck. But there are a few guys that get lucky with the right body guy in the the right mood. Not going through a mood swing and the planets are all lined up just right.

So in the end of this long reply. Good luck with anyone planing on a vinyl job and the one sticking to tradition. Just keep us all posted in the whole process. I will try to do the same as soon as I finally choose which damn white of many to choose from. :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor