Anybody recognize this noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
When sh*t hits the fan, it's never a good thing.

I'm in agreement with 565bbchevy on this one. Alternator does appear it has ghost markings where it seems a shorter belt has been put on there now. Find out the exact belt you're supposed to use and compare lengths. At this point, even another inch of alternator belt may clear.

If it hasn't worn off, you SHOULD see some markings on the current belt, which usually sneaks in the belt length in the numbers on there somewhere in the part number if it's aftermarket. Or it could simply just state the length.

Assuming this is for an 81 Pontiac V6 LD5 with A/C and 70 or 85 Amp alternator...

Your original belt was p/n 1255243. It is 46.0" long and 3/8" wide. Coded SE. I'm betting the current belt is a tad shorter. It seems your A/C belt is about to the max on adjustment, but you may consider tightening that up a tad as well. Just in case you need other belt sizes to check...

A/C belt was the same as a 307 V8, with part number 9433756. It is 52.0" x 7/16".

PS belt was originally p/n 1260963, coded SL. Service belt is p/n 9433728. It is 38.0" x 3/8".

A.I.R. pump belt original p/n 9433831. Coded KR. Same number for service belt. It's 38.5" x 5/16".

Depending on when the car was built, it could have a couple differences if a late build car. Air pump belt COULD be 37.5" x 5/16" and A/C belt COULD be 51.25" x 3/8". It's never cut and dried, is it?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
PS belt 9433728 might be a problem to find if you wanted a GM belt. Apparently the early Corvette used this belt as well. You know what that means. Check this:

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
If you look closely the bolt is there
Going by memory but I believe that's a threaded hole & it's bolted in from the back. Of course I'll check.

I watched the AC belt for a few minutes before work. It's about 1/4" from the alternator fan and it vibrates. While I watched it never hit the fan (and never made the noise) but I bet as it heats up & loosens it does hit the fan. When I replaced the alternator belt last fall I noticed that the replacement belt was shorter, which is why I'm so low on the adjustment slot. The replacement was a #15515, 51-1/12" long which is listed as correct for my car. But so is Gates #7516 at 52-5/16" long, so that's what I'm switching to. I'm replacing all of the belts.

Nothing a 307 V8 swap won't fix. :)

I'm putting a Buick 350 in it. Hopefully next winter's project.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
PS belt 9433728 might be a problem to find if you wanted a GM belt. Apparently the early Corvette used this belt as well. You know what that means. Check this:

That person should be whipped with said belt selling it at that price... of he can just hang himself with it. Fudge That Nonsense

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
That person should be whipped with said belt advertising it at that price...
Fixed the wording.. ;)

Freedom of this capitalist country, up to the buyer to buy. This case here might be someone dumb enough or want everything perfectly original in a car.

Trust me I laugh at the clowns out there that put some crazy price on something, expecially in my other hobbies. Eventually they get tired of holding it and sell for a normal price.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I watched the AC belt for a few minutes before work. It's about 1/4" from the alternator fan and it vibrates. While I watched it never hit the fan (and never made the noise) but I bet as it heats up & loosens it does hit the fan. When I replaced the alternator belt last fall I noticed that the replacement belt was shorter, which is why I'm so low on the adjustment slot. The replacement was a #15515, 51-1/12" long which is listed as correct for my car. But so is Gates #7516 at 52-5/16" long, so that's what I'm switching to. I'm replacing all of the belts.
Uh, wait a minute. The 15515 is your A/C belt, not the alternator belt. You don't need a longer one of those, trust me. There's not enough adjustment left for a longer A/C belt.

Gates 7516 effective length is 51.5".

Everything points to a 46" x 3/8 alternator belt. Gates 7460 is what you would want for your alternator belt.

ACDELCO 15384 or Gates 7384 for your AIR pump.

PS belt you could use DAYCO 15375 or ACDELCO 15375.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Fixed the wording.. ;)

Freedom of this capitalist country, up to the buyer to buy. This case here might be someone dumb enough or want everything perfectly original in a car.

Trust me I laugh at the clowns out there that put some crazy price on something, expecially in my other hobbies. Eventually they get tired of holding it and sell for a normal price.
69 Hurst/Olds ultra-rare intake manifold, one application only. Guy put one up for sale for 15K. Yes. 15K. It sold in less than a day. I paid less than that for my entire car! Some people ask what they want, and some people get what they want. It's like anything else, if you have something and someone wants it bad enough, they'll pay the price. Usually it's people with more money than brains, but there's plenty of those out there as well. It's your job as a seller to land those fish.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor