Anybody recognize this noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Listen to the video below. 3.8L V6 if it matters. In the front of the engine, there's a noise that I'd describe as 'shaking bearings in a glass jar'. It's most prominent at 0:05, 0:16, and 0:32 but can be heard throughout the video.

It comes and goes but it happens every time the engine runs. It sounds like it's the alternator but I'm not sure.

Does anybody recognize this?

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Just a guess, AC belt bouncing and hitting the alternator fan blades

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Agree with 84 W40 tighten or remove the AC belt and I bet it stops.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If the ac belt being too close is the issue I would suggest going with a longer alternator belt since you appear to be near lowest adjustment point currently, this will raise the alternator and give you more clearance

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
I bet you're all right about the belt hitting the fan. It's dark out now - I'll check it out tomorrow. Thanks!

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Belt scrubbing the blades.

What's up with that hole? Should be a bolt there..

Capture.PNG

• Winner
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor