Anyone else have issues with these new intelligent battery chargers?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
So I bought a Dewalt a while back, I should have returned it right away, POS. Usually won't charge for more than 2 seconds. The latest one that won't charge properly is a Marine charger that is 2, 6 and 15 amp auto with 3 types of batteries. I picked up a brand new Walmart Marine battery. See how long that lasts, maybe two new AGM next year. The new charger said only 60% charged. Hours later still only 60% charged! I tried charging the other battery, it wouldn't even charge it. It has been sitting on a shelf for 6 months. I am returning it today. The little simple 6 amp with 4 blinking lights and quick disconnect will stay the charger of choice for my boat.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Usually I use the Snap-on charger that my boss threw out. Opened it up, had a wire from the line cord that had come off.

I do use a couple of the cheap Schumacher tenders on the Malibus, work great.

The Schumacher smart charger we have at work now.......HATE it.

Reactions: 1 user

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
i sold all my smart chargers... they are useless and bought the old school charger back again

Reactions: 1 user

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Usually I use the Snap-on charger that my boss threw out. Opened it up, had a wire from the line cord that had come off.

I do use a couple of the cheap Schumacher tenders on the Malibus, work great.

The Schumacher smart charger we have at work now.......HATE it.
I use the chepo HF ones on two cars, lawn tractor and mower.

popeye1978

Greasemonkey
Jul 4, 2014
So I bought a Dewalt a while back, I should have returned it right away, POS. Usually won't charge for more than 2 seconds. The latest one that won't charge properly is a Marine charger that is 2, 6 and 15 amp auto with 3 types of batteries. I picked up a brand new Walmart Marine battery. See how long that lasts, maybe two new AGM next year. The new charger said only 60% charged. Hours later still only 60% charged! I tried charging the other battery, it wouldn't even charge it. It has been sitting on a shelf for 6 months. I am returning it today. The little simple 6 amp with 4 blinking lights and quick disconnect will stay the charger of choice for my boat.
Curious: what model Dewalt charger?

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I use the NOCO Genius smart charger. I leave it hooked up all the time at the dock. When the battery is fully charged it goes into maintenance mode. I am very happy with it. My battery is always ready to go. This is the older model and I have been using it for a long time with no issues. The newer models are smaller and supposed to be even better. NOCO.png

Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Curious: what model Dewalt charger?
I use the NOCO Genius smart charger. I leave it hooked up all the time at the dock. When the battery is fully charged it goes into maintenance mode. I am very happy with it. My battery is always ready to go. This is the older model and I have been using it for a long time with no issues. The newer models are smaller and supposed to be even better. View attachment 221592
I had one of these for my boat, lasted a few years. I currently have the Canadian Tire version, works really well. These and the Schumacher automatic charger with 80 amp boost works OK.

Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
We rigged this little guy on our 1980 TA. We fitted it right to the inner fender, next to the battery. The power plug hangs out the wheel well so an extension cord can be plugged in. When using the car it wraps around the charger out of the way. Works great, always keeps the battery tip top. https://no.co/genius2d
s-l1600.jpg

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I have on old school Snap-on Dumb charger that is my go to, though I do have a noco genius, but only use that for float/trickle charging. I also have a handful of HF trickle charges I keep on crap.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor