Anyone ever heard of/used Polyvance to reapair a dash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Except that if you live south of Kansas, there ARE no crack-free originals, and to date I haven't seen a repro of the stock Chevrolet dash come to fruition. Been pretty quiet over at OPGI about them, other than "coming soon" for something like 3 years now.
Once (& when I didn't have the money) I did see OPGI had some dashes in stock but as you said they are always "coming soon". I wouldn't care about the color from them since it seems like dark maple is always a non listed color dispite being used for three model years & matches close to the '82 redwood. Then anything cheaper than $750 plus shipping & works better than the Accuform dash cap I bought years ago that will need alot of assisting to go on then trimming to have trim parts fit with out looking liske @$$.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Finding crack free original dashes are certainly difficult enough, and nearly impossible south of the Mason-Dixon line. Your chances of finding good crack free examples are certainly better the further north you go. Even then, it's like hitting the lottery. As these cars become more extinct in the junkyards, it becomes a treasure hunt.
On my side of the Mason Dixon still have an overstock of cracked dashes. Maybe closer to our northern freinds.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
On my side of the Mason Dixon still have an overstock of cracked dashes. Maybe closer to our northern freinds.
I think much of it depends on how well the car had been kept during it's lifetime, whether it's up north or the deep south, In other words, if it's been garaged or kept under a carport, it would make a difference in the dashes overall condition. In either case it's hit or miss finding one of these unicorns.
Years back, I threw away a better dash than guys try to refurbish. In retrospect, I regret tossing it out.

Last edited:

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I think much it depends on how the car had been kept during it's lifetime, whether it's up north or the deep south, In other words, if it's been garaged or kept under a carport, it would make a difference in the dashes overall condition. In either case it's hit or miss finding one of these unicorns.
Years back, I threw away a better dash than guys try to refurbish. In retrospect, I regret tossing it out.
I've think we all did. The dash (#3) I have now is not as nice as my original was when I replaced it. That dash is now even worst dispite being a crack free one when I pulled it back in the mid '90's which lead to #3 being picked up.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Years back, I was fortunate to find my GP replacement. Nice GP dashes were pretty common back then. For some reason, the Pontiac dashes (and Cutlasses) were always in decent condition compared to Malibus. Perhaps these particular cars were always kept better than Malibus. :unsure:

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
In CO you can find good dashes here and there but if the car looks bad on the outside its worse on the inside,Pontiac dashes aren't touched that often out here so there available, cutlass is hit and miss and Malibu,El comino and monte dashes are the ones that shattered like an egg and flake away with the windows down. The only exception I've seen is the light blue/sky blue dash doesn't shatter but does get chalky/powdery

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
In CO you can find good dashes here and there but if the car looks bad on the outside its worse on the inside,Pontiac dashes aren't touched that often out here so there available, cutlass is hit and miss and Malibu,El comino and monte dashes are the ones that shattered like an egg and flake away with the windows down. The only exception I've seen is the light blue/sky blue dash doesn't shatter but does get chalky/powdery
You're right, certain colors seem to stand up better than others. It must be how UV rays attack them. I had an opportunity to pull a dash out of a clean out of state '81 Malibu wagon. The dash was the light blue you've mentioned, and was in excellent condition. Only thing was, the floors were filled with water and it was a mosquito breeding ground....so. I left it behind. That was the best Chevy dash that I ever came upon.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
If I recall, several members were pretty successful repairing their cracked dashes. ..and they looked good, too. I think half the battle is trying to replicate the grain, or come close.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I find them fairly often, but haven't pulled one because most don't want to pay for shipping, which would be expensive, and won't drive to pick it up. Between cost for me to get it, making a crate to ship it, and actual shipping, they would start at $750 & it seems most people won't pay that much.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor