Anyone have a 80s caprice

Status
Not open for further replies.

87montecarlomrc

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2010
Oklahoma
I'm wanting to sell my 89 chevy truck for a 87-90 caprice and want it to have tbi, and want it to b my daily driver, how good are they on gas with the simple bolt ons. I read some1 was getting like 23mpg which isn't to bad

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
I wouldn't believe anyone that told me they got 23 mpg out of a 305 or 350 in a Caprice... Look at the thing it's a boat with the aerodynamics of a brick and TBI doesn't get (much) better mileage than a well tuned carburetor if at all. I couldn't even get more than 18 on the highway out of a 4.3 V6 with CPI let alone a 305/350 with TBI.

They are kinda cool though, I really would like to have one of the late 77's to early 80's coupe's with the fastback window I think those are really bad *ss looking. I'd deck it out with cop spec springs and suspension, wheels, and tires, posi, and pusher bar... And in my dreams it would black or gold and have a big block under the hood. :lol:

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I had my buddy's 56k mile 1984 caprice for a year while I prepped the body... I personally put a couple thousand miles on it, and averaged about 17mpg on the carb'ed 305... at least til the eddy-brok carb and the msd streetfire dist I installed for him would light up the right rear tire! :twisted:
DSC00649.jpg

87montecarlomrc

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2010
Oklahoma
18mpg isn't to bad really but I didn't think about it being a boat, I still want one tho they are just cool cars

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
MR442 said:
I got 20 in a 86 . with 305 . And usually MPG is worse here becuase of hills

Hey yeah I never thought about that... That's probably where most of these high MPG claims come from out in the flat *ss mid west. :mrgreen:

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
kornball426 said:
MR442 said:

Hey yeah I never thought about that... That's probably where most of these high MPG claims come from out in the flat *ss mid west. :mrgreen:

That has to be where Auto manufacturers get them out in flat because . Here they r off by at least 5 MPG on the averages posted on new rides by what all the people I work with say. . Like to know how they get away with it .

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
MR442 said:
kornball426 said:
MR442 said:

That has to be where Auto manufacturers get them out in flat because . Here they r off by at least 5 MPG on the averages posted on new rides by what all the people I work with say. . Like to know how they get away with it .

Well actually I read an article about the EPA highway estimated mileage... They test it with a driver under such strict rules that there's no way the average person could get the same mileage like they have to keep the throttle within like a 5% range at all times during the test. In reality you give it how much gas you need when you need it, not just an arbitrary amount at a certain time. And then a lot of cars they don't even actually test they just take whatever data they have from similar cars or whatever and just slap a number on it.

It's kind of crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor