Has anyone gutted/ plugged a proportioning valve?

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
Some of you may have seen my other post about my combination/ proportioning valve woes. I was brainstorming it today and thinking if I could just plug or block any of the internal metering and then run a external proportioning valve to the rear. It should work great. The reason I want to do this is I have stainless steel brake lines that run to the factory locations to the factory valve on the frame rail and I don't want to redo all the lines. I want to keep the valve on the frame rail where it is just as a distribution block. I did some Google searching and it is very common in the mustang world and I found some other makes and models that people have done it on. Unfortunately every article I find the valve is different than the ones on our g bodies. Has anybody done it? Any info or pictures would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
So there are two types of OEM proportioning valves-

G bodies have the Kelsey Hayes style (cast iron)
The aftermarket brass ones are Bendix

The bendix ones you can gut (convert from disk-drum to disk-disk, but the OEM Kelsey Hayes you can't.

Summit/wilwood offer an adjustable prop valve that can replace the OEM one. Honestly probably your easiest shot-

Reactions: 1 users

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
Thank you 81 Cutlass!!!!!!

I would love to throw that Wildwood in and be done but unfortunately I would have to do some replumbing due to the fact that all 3 outlets are on the bottom. ( Still a good option however) Do you have a link or a part number for the bendix ones that can be gutted? Thank you so much!

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
When I converted to 4 wheel disc on my GP I used a factory disc/disc valve from like an 84ish eldorado. Hooked right up like the original from what I recall.

Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
We fixed a Tahoe that had the valve on the frame. The ABS was dead so we ripped it out. I bought that GM drum/disc combination valve that hangs under the Master Cylinder. The line to the rear was shot so we just bypassed the frame mounted valve. A splitter at the rear routed the lines to each wheel. It worked really great.
1711496213698.jpeg

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Spider eyes do you happen to have a part number?

Thank you
It's likely p/n 25504613. Or equivalent aftermarket if there are any. HARD TO FIND. Nearly unobtanium new. 80-85 Caddy/Olds E and K body. Buick lists it for 1980 E body, but later for only export E. The domestic 82/83 Buick E with rear disc used 25509417.

25504613 doesn't have the "proportioning" part at the rear. Pretty much a distribution block. Looks like it's a bolt in if you can find one.

ado-25504613_ah.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor