Anyone in NJ have a 350/290 or 350/265?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
Other than that, they're just fine as long as you've got realistic expectations.
That's the ticket. I'm not sure what to expect to be honest. Even if my current motor is 150Hp and this 350/290 only hits 220 hp, that's still significant I would expect. If I can find someone nearby with one of these motors I'd be able to see for myself.

Last edited:

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
If there is a drawback, it's the flat tappet cam, so you'll need a bottle of additive with each oil change. Other than that, they're just fine as long as you've got realistic expectations. There's a reason GM has sold millions of them.
What do you meanly additive? I'm not using an additive now. What's does this flat tappet cam need that oil doesn't have?

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
ZDDP a zinc additive the was removed from oil because it damages catalytic converters. It protected the flat tappet cams from wear. Everything is roller cams now because the removal of ZDDP from engine oil.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
ZDDP a zinc additive the was removed from oil because it damages catalytic converters. It protected the flat tappet cams from wear. Everything is roller cams now because the removal of ZDDP from engine oil.
This is precisely why I recommended the vortec engine. Would suck to flatten a new cam

Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Other big issue is that most of the good lifter companies either went under or stopped making flat tappets, leading to over seas sources and their well known quality issues.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
This is precisely why I recommended the vortec engine. Would suck to flatten a new cam
Yes, not only a flat cam but good bye bearings and oil pressure. I went from very good oil pressure to very poor when my cam went flat. The cam bits have to go somewhere. Going roller for precisely this reason, it sucks. Good thing it was a $120 motor. The 290 hp has a pretty aggressive flat tappet cam.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
What do you meanly additive? I'm not using an additive now. What's does this flat tappet cam need that oil doesn't have?
All you need is an oil that's intended for older vehicles. I use Joe Gibbs 'DRIVEN' oil. They call it 'racing oil' but whatever. I have it in my dually (BBC w/flat tappet hyd cam) & used it in the car (SBC w/flat tappet hyd cam). I don't remember but it may not be CAT-converter friendly though. We use Rotella T4 on the Model-A's.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
You're joking right? I sure hope so. That cam is the opposite of aggressive.
Not really, 222/222 duration is far from smogger stock, a lot for 8 to 1 compression. I would think they throw on stiffer valve springs with that cam. I would not run SP oil. I had a 214/214 cam go flat FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor