Are 90's cars classic now???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The magic number here is 30 years old, doesn't matter if it is a POS. No safety, if it was licensed in Saskatchewan or emissions test. If my 88 doesn't sell, next year less than $200 a year compared to 70+ a month now.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
94-97 are the lt1 camaros that seem less desired/valuable then the 98-02

They are and the "value" of the later LS cars are their drivetrains. Only the mintest of the mint LS cars are going to survive, because their drivetrain will be robbed to go into a "better" car and the F-body junked.

If you have a choice between daily driving a '99 Camaro or a '69 Chevelle (or any rwd sedan or couple, really) with a '99 Camaro drivetrain, people are going to pick the '69 Chevelle, etc. 95% of the time. If you have to "restore" a car, why not it be something good that doesn't have bad ergonomics and the negative stigma associated with 4th gen Camaros.

Jeff Blagden

Master Mechanic
Aug 12, 2016
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
They are and the "value" of the later LS cars are their drivetrains. Only the mintest of the mint LS cars are going to survive, because their drivetrain will be robbed to go into a "better" car and the F-body junked.

If you have a choice between daily driving a '99 Camaro or a '69 Chevelle (or any rwd sedan or couple, really) with a '99 Camaro drivetrain, people are going to pick the '69 Chevelle, etc. 95% of the time. If you have to "restore" a car, why not it be something good that doesn't have bad ergonomics and the negative stigma associated with 4th gen Camaros.
In Manitoba it has to 25 years old and valued over $5000 to get classic plates

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
In Manitoba it has to 25 years old and valued over $5000 to get classic plates

In Nebraska, nobody gets "classic" plates, anymore. The state allows you to replate the car with a license plate from the year of the model year of the car. So if you have a 1986, you can find a license plate from 1986 and make than be the "permanent plate" for the car.

We took it one further because Nebraska used to number its counties by a 1920 census: Douglas County (Omaha) was 1, Lancaster county (Lincoln) was 2, etc. up to 93 (the number of counties in Nebraska). The Typical License plate was 1 - AXXXX

So if you get an '86 license plate from Blaine County, NE, its 86-XXXX. For our 2+2, we welded up a plate and had it painted by a sign painter friend of ours (with just a touch of patina). You take it to the DMV and get it signed off and they put a "Historical" sticker on it, and that is now the permanent plate:
flipup-jpg.68071

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Seems like they eased up on that, I see alot of rusted out POS's that can't pass the standard inspection getting the enhanced stations to pass & OK the registration. How does a dented up, rusty car with broken/missing parts & barely runs get a mechanic to sign off on a classic registrtation. I've even seen some antique registrtations (20+ years) that should of never been OK'ed. I've been told cause my '81 will have a cowl hood, the lay down SS spoiler & late '70's Z28 wheels I can't get either registrations. :mad::rant:
I used AAA and they let me register it as antique so no more inspections or yearly registrations with it non 1984 in appearance

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I used AAA and they let me register it as antique so no more inspections or yearly registrations with it non 1984 in appearance
I thought we had to go to a enhanced inspection station for them to ok the registration for classic/antique applications. AAA never said anything last time I asked about it.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I thought we had to go to a enhanced inspection station for them to ok the registration for classic/antique applications. AAA never said anything last time I asked about it.
No, enhanced should just be if you are trying to get an R title with a salvage certificate

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
My title is good, I'll have to check again whe I renew next week.

I paid like 400 or something when I got the plate though,but figured for the long haul it was worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor