Status
Not open for further replies.

bonesninja

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2009
Lima, Ohio
FE3X CLONE said:
dogshit said:
I would second Andrew's idea. Even if you are not an "I need performance" guy. Most everybody appreciates a stronger engine that moves the car more easily. The 403 certainly has the potential for that and looks to be less money in this case as well.

Yeah. This is always the dilema when rebuilding a 307. All the machine work that would go into a 307 could be done to a 350 or 403 for the same amount but yet you'd come out with more cubes and power.

Well the other dilemma I would face is transmission....mine has the granny car TH200 Metric...I suspect it would not last long with a 350 or the 403. So I would have to swap trannys, and possibly driveshafts because of diferent lengths of the trannys. So now we are into more dollars than i really want to spend on it.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
If you're getting an edelbrock intake and headers for this engine,spend a couple more bucks and get a non computerized rochester quadrajet,they should bolt up,especially if it was a stock intake,and get a pre 1979 distributor and it'll add a little performance to it

bonesninja

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2009
Lima, Ohio
Minion1186 said:
If you're getting an edelbrock intake and headers for this engine,spend a couple more bucks and get a non computerized rochester quadrajet,they should bolt up,especially if it was a stock intake,and get a pre 1979 distributor and it'll add a little performance to it

I know I'm asking alot, but could you give me a part number for that carb...i was gonna buy this one from summit

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-64-70092/

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
78 salon said:
FE3X CLONE said:
When he got it it was supposed to have been pulled while running
quote] Andrew, I'd like to see the video of that. :shock:

I was waiting on someone to comment on that wording. :lol:

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
Check this one out,half the price of the one you want.I planned on getting this one from summit,but i can get one that's only $200 and its also remanned.I wanted a 73 olds 350 qjet because i have a 350 from 1973 that was going to be used.http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-64-7255/
bonesninja said:
I know I'm asking alot, but could you give me a part number for that carb...i was gonna buy this one from summit

pimplogic

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009
the 83 307 is WWAYYYY better than the 86. i have a 86 c/supreme and im switching to an olds 350 even in the freezing winter. the 307 engines were trash compared to any olds 350. i'd say scrap both engines and buy a 350 (olds of course) you can get one running for $100 if you know where to look. a Turbo hydramatic 350 is enough to handle the extra power and you wont suffer much if you dont run a posi rear end. as for the brakes, leave the drums on the rear and buy some vented cross drilled rotors with larger calipers for the front end (heavy engine you need more stopping power) then spend some money on some true duals $300 at the local muffler place (say its a 1984 because they are gonna try to rip you off for cats) some paint and rims and you should be good man.

ponchoman49

Apprentice
May 27, 2009
NY
I got my 1983 307 Cutlass running 0-60 in 8.2 seconds(stop watch recorded) which is around what a 442 does without opening up the engine at all. I set the base timing to 22 degrees (factory says 20), set the TPS to proper specs, cleaned out the EGR passages and installed a new EGR valve. On the carb side I replaced the fat secondary metering rods with a set from an older Olds 350 Quadrajet courtesy of a local junkyard, got the secondaries to open further and quicker, replaced the horrible restrictive bead converter with a high flow unit, added 442 style exhaust, installed Rapidfire plugs and a complete tuneup and swapped the rear end out from the stock 2.41:1 to a 3.23:1 from the same junk yard. The difference was night and day. Before all this the car was a dog and would only run to 60 in about 12-12.5 seconds. After everything above was done it now runs like a 442 without the HP cam and 3.73:1 gears. Not bad for a otherwise stock 307 "Y" motor.

pimplogic

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009
that is pretty sick for a 307. but still its an 83, even with all my stock crap im pretty sure if i shift my car correct i could get mine from 0-60 in about 7 or8 secs. still i modded the stop on my secondaries so they open at a full 90 degrees instead of like 65 degs. good job on that 83 eng man. your willin to put a lot more work into that mouse motor than i am

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor