Are Power Steering boxes interchangeable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkman1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 3, 2009
Are the round cover metric steering boxes directly interchangeable with the 4 bolt cover regular and fast ratio boxes? Did fast ratio boxes use the same PS pumps? I have a 79 Cutlass, will the steering arm fit an 87 442 box? Will the 87 arm fit the 79 center link? I am aware that the later boxes use O rings and my car has flare fittings. Thanks.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
The boxes will interchange as long as you have the accompanying pitman arm. Those are not interchangeable. You can use the same pump. And you already know about the O-ring vs flare fitting differences.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
the rebuildable and non rebuildable boxes ARE interchangeable however do be aware that sometimes those boxes may not use the same pump. it has something to do with the orifice in the back that restricts how much/little fluid goes through the system. boxes that require more effort tend to have a larger orifice in the pump allowing for more assist by the system. that being said you do not necessarily have to change the pump if you change from a slow to fast ratio box or a non-rebuildable box to a rebuildable box. just make sure you keep your pitman arm!

there are also different stops in boxes according to the model and trim level. an example of this would be the fast boxes for g-bodies and fast boxes for f-bodies. while they act the same, the stops are not the same. the wheel width being used needed different stops. if you use an 8" or wider wheel you'd want to use an f-body box whereas up to 8" wide you could use the g-body fast ratio box. the f-body box stops sooner so you dont rub the tires and wheels on steering and suspension parts.

b-body and g-body stops are similar i believe while the f-body has a wider turning radius because of the stops for their wider wheels. something to keep in mind when replacing the box or wheels or both. also fast ratio boxes tend to require a bit more effort to turn so if you go from a 4.5 turns to 3.5 lock to lock the 3.5 will require more effort but not a lot more.

i think that's everything that hasn't been mentioned yet.

yorkman1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 3, 2009
Thank you guys! Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor