Asbestos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
Hey guys, so as you know i have been working on my buick alot, and the other day i was talking to my dad about something, and he said i have to wear a mask when working on the car because i am near the brake pads. well thats fine with me, but when i got home from work today he told me i have to bring a set of clothes, and take a shower at my grandparents house before i can come home from working on the car. do you guys think this is unnecessary? i really do mainly because the brakes havn't been used, but it is also in the wool thats under the hood. the only reason i think he is really worried though is because his dad was a mechanic, and he died from asbestos.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Buy some cheap coveralls to give him a piece of mind, they are cheap and save your clothes. I am not going to say the wool under the hood is NOT asbestos, but, I highly doubt it. Are either really good to breathe, not so much. Try to make your dad happy, he only has your best interest at heart. A box of nitrile or latex gloves is also pretty inexpensive and keeps your hands safer and more presentable to the opposite sex.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
Buy some cheap coveralls to give him a piece of mind, they are cheap and save your clothes. I am not going to say the wool under the hood is NOT asbestos, but, I highly doubt it. Are either really good to breathe, not so much. Try to make your dad happy, he only has your best interest at heart. A box of nitrile or latex gloves is also pretty inexpensive and keeps your hands safer and more presentable to the opposite sex.
plus i dont want to shower in my grandparents raunchy shower, id rather be under the car with rat sh*t dropping on my head every minute because thats just about what happens.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Well, if you have some coveralls to wear, you won't look like you have been rolling around in rat feces....ever hear of the bubonic plague?

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
A box of nitrile or latex gloves is also pretty inexpensive and keeps your hands safer and more presentable to the opposite sex.

Mechanics Clean Fingers.png

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
Well, if you have some coveralls to wear, you won't look like you have been rolling around in rat feces....ever hear of the bubonic plague?
haha yea well i hope all of the bacteria has died from the sh*t that was taken most likely atleast 5 years ago

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
I don't think the hood liners contain asbestos. They are mainly for sound and not for heat. The only ones that would need asbestos hood liners would be early Turbo cars.
The brake pads and shoes could contain asbestos. Always rinse them with brake cleaner before working on them. The hood pad should not. There is nothing else on a vehicle that would have it.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Asbestos was banned from use in the late 70's although after that you might still find it in brake and clutch linings after that date. I doubt you find any these days

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
The stuff's not cyanide or radioactive or anything. He's way over-reacting. I work on antique radios and I've run across sheets of asbestos used as a heat shield for vacuum tubes. I just carefully take it out, put it in a ziploc without folding or tearing it, and throw it in the trash. I probably have more to worry about from breathing in the fumes from undoing 70+ year old solder connections.

Unless you're breathing the stuff in on a daily basis, or licking the dust off your wheels, I don't think you have much to worry about.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor