Assault / home defense shotguns

No comment on home defense. Hopefully, if it ever comes to that, the uninvited visitor(s) won't ever know whether it was a Mossy 500 or 590 or a .45 auto. 🙂

Although I will say I don't think there's a need for full chokes on close quarters shotguns, and no need for them at all if you only stay inside the home with a shorter barrel. Unless maybe you live in a monster sized house, which I don't. JMO. Others have their own opinions. Not against chokes in general for home defense, because you never know when you may have to go outside with it. That changes the entire dynamics. Maybe a modified choke, but probably not a full choke.

I also have an old, shortened Remington 12 ga my dad had that I obtained after he died. I'm going to guess he had it for home defense. Had a trigger lock on it (he worried about the grandkids getting into his old gun safe- about got a hernia trying to help move that thing) and of course, I didn't have the 3 number code for the trigger lock. After going through a zillion potential combinations, I was going to resort to drilling the thing out, and then....I thought WTF, one more try....4....4....2.....it opened! Leave it to my dad.... 🙂

My dad grew up with them from 1931 but it was something I never got into with him or my brothers. The only thing I own is a Jugoslav army Slavia 620 .177 pellet rifle (he won the shooting contest 3 yrs running while in Yugoslavia, so each son got the rifle prize) and a Mossberg pump 410 he sold me about 15 yrs ago before he moved back to Germany. But it's a 410 designed for home defense with an 18" barrel and composite pistol grip stock, just the thing (as he said) for maneuvering thru narrow house hallways.

I wanted a Rem V3 Tac 13. They are crazy expensive now that production is nill.

I settled on a Rem V3 Field Sport Synthetic.
V3_Black_Right.png

I payed my tax stamp and cut the barrel to about this length
remington-v3.01.jpg
I put on a 1 shell extension to get 5+1 and 6 shell Velcro carrier. It shoots like a dream, and since it's an auto the recoil is almost non existent for a 12ga.

I'm a big fan of auto 12's. Under stress (and if you're in a gun fight in your house YOU WILL be under stress) it's easy to forget to pump the next shell in.

But, that's just me.

Hutch

I leave the slug barrel on during the off season and change the sling.

IMG_20220309_162823185.jpg

Oh wait, that's right, I lost that one in a horrible fishing accident!

• Haha
Reactions: oldsofb
LIke the looks of that BullPup, thought of that myself as a possible answer. Question here though is whether it can be had minus the shoulder stock; or if there is a variant with some kind of folding stock that could be collapsed to bring the weapon tighter to the body for better control. This is close quarters weapon and apt to be used where time is critical and a precise aim is not. If someone(s) have made through the door and avoided the claymores?? then taking the time to bring it up to shoulder and then firing is too much time wasted.

?? Carbine version of the AR-15 chambered and barreled for shotgun shells/deerslugs??

And oh yeah, anyone id the piece in the pic from superbon54?; verrrry interesting as is the pic of the V-3 Tac 13. Up here that would be restricted to police services only. Definite room broom.

Nick

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor