Astro or Jeep Steering Shaft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
Does anyone know of any members who have a Jeep or Astro van steering shafts for sale? I'm replacing the steering box and I figured it would go after the steering shaft too. It's about the only part that I haven't replaced yet. I'd rather give one of you guys my money. I saw some old posts where people were selling these, but they are a little dated. Thanks in advance.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I have the Astro van shaft on both of my cars. It does have to be clocked in order to fit properly.
The Jeep shaft can bolt on without clocking although you must telescope the shaft which can take some effort.
I prefer the Astro van shaft as it is all metal. The Jeep shaft has plastic bushings around the u joints that can crack and fall out.

Reactions: 2 users

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
I just found out my 78 won't take the new style shaft. So I guess I'm just replacing the rag joint and calling it a day.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I just found out my 78 won't take the new style shaft. So I guess I'm just replacing the rag joint and calling it a day.
You can always go with new aftermarket ones, I have Borgeson collapsible shafts in both my Monte and Regal they are not cheap but they are high quality and brand new.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Just an FYI,all Jeep shafts are not created equal.
I had one come apart on me a few years ago,scared the crap outta me,LOL
Heres a link to my post back then;
The Astro shaft was a much better design than the Jeep one.
Guy

Reactions: 1 users

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
You can change the shaft in your column. Then you can use the 79 and up steering shaft

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ostrich

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Does anyone know of any members who have a Jeep or Astro van steering shafts for sale? I'm replacing the steering box and I figured it would go after the steering shaft too. It's about the only part that I haven't replaced yet. I'd rather give one of you guys my money. I saw some old posts where people were selling these, but they are a little dated. Thanks in advance.
Just waiting for the yards to open up here again (Covid shutdown). Hopefully have some more soon, ready to go. PM me, that way I have your name in my list.

Reactions: 1 users

buzz77

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2013
Has anyone used these new oem style steering shafts?:
Screenshot_20210327-193619.png

buzz77

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2013
Looks like it still has a rag joint in it.
Thanks. I hear the jeep/astro steering shafts require the original spline to be notched. What exactly are we notching and what tool would one use? The input shaft is solid metal how would you go about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor