Audi Flipper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Well got about an hour to work on it today. Pulled a plug, borescope showed no damage to that individual cylinder, and plenty of broken up carbon buildup. Apparently these cars are notorious for carbon breaking and sticking to the valves, causing... wait for it... no compression! So i had a peek inside the timing cover, then immediately broke the timing cover, and the belt is still on, tight, and not missing any teeth. THEN I REALISED that the battery is below 12v, and these cars, or so I'm told, can act very strangely with a low battery. <--- that one is high hopes, but even carbon buildup will be easy to remedy!

Everyone cross their fingers for me!

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Well got about an hour to work on it today. Pulled a plug, borescope showed no damage to that individual cylinder, and plenty of broken up carbon buildup. Apparently these cars are notorious for carbon breaking and sticking to the valves, causing... wait for it... no compression! So i had a peek inside the timing cover, then immediately broke the timing cover, and the belt is still on, tight, and not missing any teeth. THEN I REALISED that the battery is below 12v, and these cars, or so I'm told, can act very strangely with a low battery. <--- that one is high hopes, but even carbon buildup will be easy to remedy!

Everyone cross their fingers for me!

we can cross our fingers but that only goes so far, even if it starts it's still a dressed up VW.... :popcorn:

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
Yes, low voltage is a no-no on these. Time for a few cans of engine cleaner, oil change and all is said and done flog it for a long stretch.
Carbon pick up is a bit of a US problem since fuel quality in Europe has a different standard and these cars are usually driven by business users and are usually doing 120+mph on the Autobahn most of their life.

Reactions: 1 user

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
And a bunch of bent valves!!! :banana:

Hey! I said cross your fingers!

Well my voltmeter tells me it's at 12.6V, jump started anyway and no difference. There's a chance I have a connection issue because the gauge on the dash reads about 11.8V with the key on. I'm not gonna fret too much on that yet, next will be a compression test, and if that looks good, which I doubt it will, I might move on to electrical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor