Aussie El Camino going to happen!! (whoo hoo!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
Well was watching Barret Jackson and an official announcement that GM will start inporting the Holden car that looks like GTO in th font and has a bed. Basically the new El Camino. I know there were rumors but now i'm torn betwen the new camaro and the new el camino

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
no it's a two door. i'll try to find the picture until then here is the link to holden with the pictureand stuff. I really like it! nice gressiv font end and nice smooth rear.

Derision

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2007
Jackson, New Jersey
regalman4925 said:
that first one posted is ugly as hell!

Well, that's what happens. For some reason, they have determined that two-doors don't sell as well. I don't know why. But it's no more a bastardization than a four-door Grand Prix or Regal or Cutlass -- of which there were many.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
My least-favorite is the 4 door Dodge Charger. I mean, it looks good from the front and rear, but the 4 door side view kills it. It could have been a decent looking car as a 2 door. Maybe the new Challenger will redeem Chrysler, but then again, it will be pricey and sell poorly because of it.

As for the Holden Ute pictured, the whole idea is nothing new Down Under, they have been making car-pickups non stop for decades. If they want it and other future iterations of it to sell well here, they need to give it more masculine styling cues. The rounded look of the last GTO and Monaro just made it look too feminine for a car with it's intentions. Sharper lines and a more squared off nose would go a long way to selling those cars here.

I would also like to see Ford sell it's Falcon line here from Australia. It too is RWD/V8 and available in a variety of body styles.

Actually, a 4 door El Camino is far more of a bastardization than a 4 door Cutlass. There has always been a 4 door Cutlass since it's inception, but the 4 door car-pickup thing just seems wrong and dumb. In fact, most of the 4 door trucks out there are useless as the bed is way too short to provide enough utility to make it worthwhile. From the first light truck like this, the Nissan Frontier Crew Cab to the F-150 Crew Cab, they all have beds not much larger than the trunk of a 1973 Chrysler C body.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
Monaro = Sex
Lumina SS = Sex

two cars the states don't get. and the ones we do. just aren't the same

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Better than an Isuzu Colorado any day! Now if they will only make it available in a variety of trim levels including the cheaper V6 models with the low end interiors, they may actually sell these in large numbers! Compared to a typical small truck, they have more comfortable interiors, better handling and better aerodynamics. They may even have a fuel economy benefit in the 6 cylinders as compared to the 6 cyl Colorado/Canyon/I3500 trucks. Holden definitely builds better products in their native forms than GM of North America does. The GTO we got was very similar to the Aussie Monaro, but there were a few things done to meet crash standards that compromised the original dynamics of the car when it came here. That and it had bland styling no matter which country it was sold in. The new one looks better.

87ChooChoo3.73

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2007
It may look ugly but it has the 6.0 i would love to have one i have a 87 the last year they made the el caminos and would love to have to new ones the first year they brought them back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor