Auto Code Scanners/Readers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 13, 2010
Does anyone have experience with these tools and if so how well do they work on older cars and any preferences? I have been thinking about getting one and even perhaps buying the software that will enable one to use your laptop to run diagnostics. Some of the threads that I have read in other forums also suggest that one could even make your own cables to connect to the onboard computer. Thanks

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I have a really good Snap-On 2500 scan tool. It is indespensible and although expensive, I got it used and it's paid for itself many times over. I use it on my 81' to 01' cars as that's the modules I have and it covered all my rides until I got an 05' Cobalt. The modules for those years were very expensive still, so for that I bought a cheap-*ss Harbor Freight code reader that shows the number codes as well as a description. It came in handy solving a lean condition that was caused by a cracked intake bonnet. If you just need to know what the troubles codes in the car are, the cheap ones do the job fine, as well as clear the codes when you are done.

username

Master Mechanic
Jul 21, 2009
Tennessee
On older cars like ours you dont need a scan tool, usually you jump a set of pins on the connector to see the check eng. light flash a certain amount.Some you can read values with a simple multi-meter.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
knucklebuster said:
Does anyone have experience with these tools and if so how well do they work on older cars and any preferences? I have been thinking about getting one and even perhaps buying the software that will enable one to use your laptop to run diagnostics. Some of the threads that I have read in other forums also suggest that one could even make your own cables to connect to the onboard computer. Thanks
The generic scan tools sold for OBD II vehicles ( 96 and newer by law, some 95's by option) will in no way work on these ancient computer systems. The best method for pulling codes on these cars is the paperclip trick, which shorts two connectors in the ALDL connector under the dash. I forget which two, but it should be easy to find with a Google search. Perhaps even someone will be kind enough to post a link to a good site with the info.

chevyman454

Greasemonkey
May 20, 2010
Citrus springs . FL
jumping A-b on the older GM pcm's will drop you some codes but really wont give you any streaming data. do what most ppl do when they have problems drop the CCC and CC dist with non CC'd ones unless you want to get a OBDII one from a 96 or later car

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor