automatic shift linkage adjustment question

Status
Not open for further replies.

johna20376

n00b
Mar 20, 2010
I just bought a 1987 elcamino v6 automatic ingood condition. My question is sometimes when I try to start it the starter will not do anything unless I turn the steering column below the steering wheel to make the "P" in park line up better. I am wondering if the shift linkage needs to be adjusted and if so how do you it? Going to buy shop manual. Can anybody recommend a good one?

Thanks

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
On the arm on transmission there should be a slot, I believe mine was originally almost all the way to one side. It is a real easy thing to adjust, just a nut on the manual shaft. Be careful though not to screw up the actual transmission shifts. I would loosen the nut a little while in park and just jiggle the linkage to column a little to get it seated in park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor