Backfiring and won't stop!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBandit203

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 17, 2012
Just got my Regal back running and installed a new starter and heat wrap. At the time of install I took the #1 and #3 spark plug wires off to tight the header bolts and like a dumbass I drove the car like 5 miles like this! I would assume that the cylinders are filled with fuel hence the constant backfires. How can I stop this?

Jshock

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2013
Port Orchard, WA
Well if they are full of fuel you'll need to pull the plugs and crank the engine to blast it out of there. (Disconnect fuel to carb first so it doesn't flood). Second check your oil and smell it for fuel you will wipe bearings if its contaminated. When you pull the plugs hit them with a torch to burn off the fuel foul. That should do it!

TheBandit203

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 17, 2012
Watched the the fuel mist out the # 1&3 cylinders, but no good still backfiring going to change all plugs and do a push on # 1,3,5,and 7 cylinders! Wish me luck!!! :cry:

bigtmoney

Greasemonkey
Dec 11, 2011
Dallas, TX
Yes I agree, the plug wires may be reversed. Have you traced them back to the distributor to make sure #1 is still #1? Should have burned that fuel off after starting it up and letting it run.

TheBandit203

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 17, 2012
I will check the wires, I also purchased new spark plugs just in case. I will keep you all posted, thanks for your help

Kai

TheBandit203

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 17, 2012
You guys rock, wrong wires no more issues, next step is the dual exhaust!!! Thanks guys you save the car!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor