Bad mechanic rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lildudefl

Master Mechanic
Aug 25, 2011
Las Vegas (Cali at Heart)
Swapping a SBC for 1500? Ouch :shock: . u coulda spent less than that on the tools needed and did it youself. sorry about your situation, hope you get it all sorted out

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Now if I could have done the work myself I would have. And could have had it done in less than a week.

The reasoning behind the $1500 was this: Was to include new hoses and belts, but all he replaced was the PS belt and some vacuum hose. Headers, but he failed to mention the fact that he was gonna butcher my existing exhaust and not do anything to connect my pipes to the headers. New urethane mounts (now I can't say for sure, but it looks like the stock ones in there still). Buying and installing a gear drive, that never happened. And his so called expert work that includes loose bolts and crap laying around the engine compartment.

Taking him to court is starting to sound like a good idea.

Another thing that's bugging me (I'm gonna check it tomorrow when I have more sunlight) is that he said he put a new 625 Edelbrock on it. But I can't find any place online that sells a '625' Edelbrock. So I'l run my numbers tomorrow and see what I have. I plan to put a Quadrajet on it eventually, since the intake is spreadbore.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Didn't Carter sell a 625 AFB carb at one time? Either way this guy is a hack and shouldn't be working on anything. I don't understand how people like this even get to the point of owning a business.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Just go back to the hack and calmly ask him why certain things you payed to have done weren't done. Then ask for finacial compensation. If he refuses, THEN take legal action.

Another trick is to catch him in a lie he can't get out of. For example, ask him something like 'what should the such and such bolts be torqued down to' and he'll tell you 'X ft/lbs'. Get him to really commit to his answer then you hit him with it; 'then why did you only torque MY bolts to 'Y'?'. He's trapped now. He can't now go back and say they should only be torqued to Y because he already swore they should be X. That's how you catch people in their lies.

Hard lesson to learn but the fact is, it's hard to trust anybody, especially people in the car biz.

P.S. How did this hack suddenly realize you needed a higher stall when he never test drove the car? Either way, you gotta expect a small block putting out over 400 horses to want a higher stall than 'stock'.

azmalibuwagon

Master Mechanic
Sep 18, 2009
Phoenix
These hacks and crooks are everywhere, and it could have been worse. I know of a case that's in court right now, where a shop took in a very expensive classic and rare car for some work, and after months of excuses, the customer finally sued. Sadly, all they can find are a few small pieces of the car. The rest was apparently sold off.

No matter what happens to the guilty a-hole, the customer has lost his car, and there's really no way to replace it.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
So I placed an ad on Kijiji to find someone to finish my car. And basically told this same story in the ad. I guess he didn't like it to much. He sent me an email calling me a liar and said to remove it before he calls his lawyer. What's he gonna do, sue me for telling the truth? I have all the proof I need under the hood of my car.

BIGBrandon2785

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2011
Saint Louis,MO
Phoenyx said:
So I placed an ad on Kijiji to find someone to finish my car. And basically told this same story in the ad. I guess he didn't like it to much. He sent me an email calling me a liar and said to remove it before he calls his lawyer. What's he gonna do, sue me for telling the truth? I have all the proof I need under the hood of my car.
Yeah screw that dude,he did you wrong.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I totally agree. And it's now to late in the season to even get the thing on the road before the snow falls.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Were the details of the work he was supposed to complete in writing or on the final bill :?: If they were, you will have absolutely no problem in court 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor