BAGGAH2-(Harley-Davidson Project Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Just took another peek at your posted pictures and am now wondering where that chip out of the cam shaft got off to. if it just went to dust and got picked off by the filter all might be well. If it escaped into the oil lines, well................. MIght be worth the time to fillet the oil filter to see what the filter material has trapped. Other thing that commended itself to my attention was some curiousity about the shape or condition that the roller bearing that supported that shaft was in. Not sure what mfgr your cam bearings came from. Torrington used to be the bomb when it came to needle and roller bearings. Harley went to INA for its cam bearings and the service life went for a sh*t. INA bearings use fewer rollers to allow for room for the cage. This makes them weaker and more prone to dying sooner. The inboard bearing particularly had a bad reputation for committing suicide. This may not be an issue for your motor due to it being a twin cam but. and again, it is a while you are in there thing that could save you a second teardown; although if you have to break, Sturgis is just about the best place to do it as there are shops and vendors all over the place and none of the national couriers that deliver to the district get any rest during that two week period!!

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
We got the bike all buttoned up about 4 days before we were scheduled to leave. I put around 100 miles on it before we left and it seemed good! Sounds decent, a little bump in power, and no noises!

Wow! What a trip! We left on a Friday and arrived to our rental house in Lead, SD on a Monday. The bike did awesome on the way out. Plenty of power, good throttle response, oil pressure never got any lower than 35psi, hot, idling. My dad and I lead our 4 bike pack pretty much side by side the whole way.

We were headed out towards Custer state park one day when the bike started to sputter and then shut off. It had no electrical power. We took apart the ignition switch (I’ve had an issue with it losing connection before). No luck. Thankfully I have AAA gold with motorcycle coverage, so that paid for the 25 mile tow to the house. Upon further inspection there was some corrosion on the battery terminals. We cleaned them up, the bike fired right up and we headed out on a shorter ride through Spearfish canyon. Around 20 miles again, same issue, WTF! we my buddies trailer and dragged it home, again. The battery had good resting voltage and fired right up. It turns out that once the battery got warm it would lose connection internally from the posts. Nothing a new battery wouldn’t fix. My speedometer quit working which turned out to be a faulty speed sensor, also no big deal. I did blow a left side shock on the way out to Sturgis. It continued to leak oil througout the week and finally ran out of oil on the way home which made for a bumpy ride. I’m in the market for replacements (upgrade) now.

All in all we racked up 5,028 miles in 13 days. I couldn’t be happier with my 18 year old bike and the way it performed. I’d definetly like to do another long haul trip like this again (I’m thinking the gulf coast, or ride up PCH).
736DE880-65D2-44F9-828F-CA7A0D57EEE2.jpeg

7866B1CF-F917-4D30-9CFC-DB878248F915.jpeg

ADB0972C-3A05-41FD-B7C0-8DE5335ACDE2.jpeg

CFEFBDF3-2DFD-499C-8169-9C7DFF06E674.jpeg

0A6F1DCD-BBD3-4362-90D3-C360795085A4.jpeg

5003DC44-A51E-4F07-A079-1B3F38FB5A1C.jpeg

F339087D-B8E7-4C06-8157-62FF13F09EE5.jpeg

E422B0EA-E846-4D93-9536-75822B1ED596.jpeg

814C007A-5DD1-4B0D-BCB2-55B794555C72.jpeg

B179AEF7-15C4-4272-A830-D2D2AC023A03.jpeg

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Went with Progressive when the shocks on my bagger gave up the ghost. Currently using both their shocks and a set of their glide springs. Don't know where you are at but have had good luck with getting parts from Dennis Kirk. (Not a plug, just my own experience).

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Went with Progressive when the shocks on my bagger gave up the ghost. Currently using both their shocks and a set of their glide springs. Don't know where you are at but have had good luck with getting parts from Dennis Kirk. (Not a plug, just my own experience).

I’ve been looking into Racetech GS-3’s. I like they are built to your spec for close to the same price as some of the other popular brands.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
I was tired of being bounced and jolted around from my blown rear shocks, so I just bit the bullet for Race Tech G3-S rear shocks. These are an IFP design with a rebound adjustment as well. They are not off the shelf, they are built to order per your weight and riding style. Compared to some off the other off the shelf aftermarket options, their $900 price tag is not too crazy. They ride fantastic!

One of the things I was worried about when upgrading to aftermarket shocks was losing road feel. I wanted a compliant ride that was responsive but didn’t totally mute road feel, so I am able to tell what the tires are doing underneath me. When compared to factory air shocks, or even factory “premium ride” shocks found on the ‘14-up bikes, they feel like they are able to better absorb large, square and round edge bumps without bottoming or feeling harsh. The ride is compliant, yet firm, repeatable, and confidence inspiring.

I need to do the front now. I’m thinking Race Tech “Gold Valve Emulators” which make a dampening rod fork behave more like a cartridge fork. I would compliment that with their custom rate fork springs.
33B9FC73-58A6-47DC-B0B4-92644A4ED592.jpeg
49037AF5-29B4-47CB-856E-D216AFFC621B.jpeg
EA4E5C5E-111F-458E-9D75-828A1CE809FE.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
I haven't done anything to my bike since I put the shocks on. As reported before, they are still awesome. When we went to Sturgis we cheated a little bit. We still rode our bikes the whole way but my mom wasn't interested in riding that far, so she took her truck. This was good because we could haul tools, snacks and water. I was determined to fit all my clothes and necessities in my bike (which I did) minus tools. It was time for a tool roll. Harley-Davidson sells a Snap-On version which has more tools than what the bike came with factory (I don't have the factory tool roll). But we have so many doubles and spare tools in the garage that I decided to make my own tool roll. Here's what I packed:

Long flathead screwdriver (great for carb adjustments)
Nut driver
Ph-2/3 bits, flathead bit, T40, T30, T25 torx (Gas Tank, Air Cleaner, Derby Cover etc.)
10mm 12 point socket (Front and rear brake calipers)
1/4 12 point socket (Brake caliper pins)
1/4 socket (I can't remember why I put this in there, I will probably take it out)
3/8 extension
5/8 spark plug socket
Ratchet
Adjustable wrench
5/8, 9/16, 1/2, 7/16, 10mm, 3/8 wrenches
Pliers
Multitool
5/64, 3/32, 1/8, 5/32, 3/16, 7/32, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8 allens
Spark Plug gap tool
Blue shop rag
Hand wipes
Zip ties
Electrical tape
Spare kickstand spring
Spare shifter shaft

The only things I need are:
Axle wrench (like in the factory tool rolls, it is double ended 15/16 x 3/4)
5/16 wrench (throttle cable lock nuts)
Spare spark plugs

I feel pretty comfortable with this tool kit. Its definitely a little bulkier and heavier than the factory tool roll, but I think I could fix most things on the side of the road in an emergency. So far I've only had to buy the tool roll itself ($10 at harbor freight) and the 3/8" drive ratchet (also $10 at harbor freight)

IMG_9163.jpg

IMG_9164.jpg

IMG_9169.jpg

IMG_9139.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Unfortunately BAGGAH2 is tucked away in the garage and out for the count.

I’ve always hated the way this aftermarket 6 speed transmission shifted. I previously thought it was an Ultima, but it is actually a RevTech. The overdrive 6th gear is awesome. But no matter the fluid it has in it, and with a properly adjusted shift pawl and clutch, its clunky and prone to missed 1-2-3 upshifts. I had the top cover off some time ago to adjust the shift pawl and do an inspection, and everything seemed normal.

The last few weeks its been progressively getting worse. Jumping out of 1st and 2nd at part throttle, and completely skipping 2nd and going to 3rd on upshifts. It finally gave up the ghost on memorial day. We went for a quick ride, and when I went to take off from a light, I had no gear. We pushed it off the road and was able to find second. I was making a good attempt at limping it home when it made a hellacious explosion/griding sound, locked up the rear wheel for a quick second, and then had no drive whatsoever.

Upon closer inspection, a shift fork broke which took out 3rd gear on the main and counter shafts. There is also a nick in what I think is 2nd on the main shaft as well. Since this is a 6 speed “builders kit” it shares almost nothing I actually need with the stock 5 speed.

I really want to keep an overdrive 6th, but I don’t want to pay $3000 for the Baker OD6, so I’m weighing some other options now.

Its an unfortunate event to have to work on your motorcycle, but it reminds me how easy these bikes are to work on. I had the gearset ready to pull out in about 2 hours, and that was taking my time.

Enjoy the carnage photos!
104094CE-74B1-48DE-A46B-EA000B2AF121.jpeg

0EFDF215-08FF-467F-BA5B-DE50BACFF439.jpeg

8CF005A6-C18C-41A3-9403-AC24962D102D.jpeg

68D0AF4E-3A7F-4AF9-A6BF-035AD6542244.jpeg

59979FCB-A0A8-4AD5-A45F-7E344B665DFB.jpeg

755A57F6-47A3-4C3E-9FB9-831CAD6475BA.jpeg

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
And now you know why Rev-Tech has such a piss poor reputation in the market place. A good marketing motto for them ought to have been, "BOGO, Buy one Grenade One"! Unfortunately they were built as unique platforms and nothing from anyone else will fit. Plus parts are nonexistent. You break is it just a sign that the warranty is over and time to go replace it. They were one of the motor's of choice for that Orange County Build off show a long while back. Not the only one of that ilk either. Not deriding the whole motor in a crate concept as such, just that there seemed to be a horde of so-called crate motor builders at one point and most now seem to have disappeared. Kind of makes you have to look all that much harder at that so-called "low mile cherry" bike that just popped up on Craig's List.

Not suggesting anything here but S&S does have a transmission series, one of which might work for you. $$$$$ but still american made and c/2 warranty.

Nick

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
And now you know why Rev-Tech has such a piss poor reputation in the market place. A good marketing motto for them ought to have been, "BOGO, Buy one Grenade One"! Unfortunately they were built as unique platforms and nothing from anyone else will fit. Plus parts are nonexistent. You break is it just a sign that the warranty is over and time to go replace it. They were one of the motor's of choice for that Orange County Build off show a long while back. Not the only one of that ilk either. Not deriding the whole motor in a crate concept as such, just that there seemed to be a horde of so-called crate motor builders at one point and most now seem to have disappeared. Kind of makes you have to look all that much harder at that so-called "low mile cherry" bike that just popped up on Craig's List.

Not suggesting anything here but S&S does have a transmission series, one of which might work for you. $$$$$ but still american made and c/2 warranty.

Nick
Right. I get it. I’m not sure how long ago this transmission was installed. At least 6 years/25,000 miles ago. My guess is it probably has 50-60,000 miles on it.

I see where S&S had some drop in complete 6 speeds for like custom softails, but not 6 speed drop in gear sets. I’m wondering if they discontinued.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
My neighbor put a Baker 6 in his Ultra last year, and he loves it. He loved it so much that he tried to roost a tree covered berm on a back road, and stop himself with his face. He made it without medical attention, but they totaled the bike. It's now in rebuild stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor