BAGGAH2-(Harley-Davidson Project Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
That truly is a great friend! Nice bike!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Wow ! quite a friend - he isn't looking for anything in return, don't send him somewhere - take him !

Oh you know I won’t pass up a trip to an NHRA event!
Just a little food for thought (from experience)

The parts you take off, like the handlebars, save them in a box.

Make it yours (like he did) and enjoy the heck out of it (like he did), I'm sure that'll bring a world of happiness to him.

Years from now, when he's actually gone, you may get a twinge of nostalgia and want to put it back like he had it for memories and as a tribute. (Especially if you move on to another everyday toy). It's nice to have the chance/option to do so if you ever get inclined.

I’ve already started doing that! :D

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Oh you know I won’t pass up a trip to an NHRA event!

Lot to do in Charlotte couple more ideas

2016-09-17 03.52.03.jpg

DSCN0251.JPG

2016-09-15 01.35.11.jpg

2016-09-15 02.34.23.jpg

2016-09-15 03.15.56.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
It's not damage to the tires you can see. Don't over think it, just replace them both and you won't have to question if it's good. Run ratty tires on a car and it might cost you a fender. Run them on a bike and it might cost you (and possibly someone else) everything.

• Agree

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
It's not damage to the tires you can see. Don't over think it, just replace them both and you won't have to question if it's good. Run ratty tires on a car and it might cost you a fender. Run them on a bike and it might cost you (and possibly someone else) everything.

Alright, alright. You're right haha. I think it was just paining me to take a tire off that looks brand new. But I understand the possible consequences, and the fact that a tire can "look" ok, but still behave like garbage. I broke down and bought a new set of Pirelli Night Dragons. I figure it was only $115 more to have a fresh tire front and rear. It'll be worth it not to wonder about it, and I'm getting a much better performing tire.

• Agree

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Just updating with some more stuff. I got my new tires in this week. I've been busy this weekend. Drained the fuel tank and installed a new fuel filter. Removed the front and rear wheels. Installed a new air filter, and also made a trip to the dealer to get the seals I need for a complete fluid change. I'm still waiting on my engine, primary, and transmission oils.

I played around with the exhuast heat shielding. It had some hose clamps around the shields, unfortunately the tabs were broken off, so they can't be held on normally. I went through an assortment of stainless hose clamps, trying to find some that I could orient so you couldn't see the "ugly" part of the clamp.

Also messed with some bracket alignment in the back, trying to use different hardware to make it look better, and make the saddlebags easier to put on. This bike was in some sort of fender bender in the back, so a new rear fender will be needed at some point. I also started polishing the chrome, oh boy. Luckily its in pretty good shape for the most part, just very dirty and corroded.

Here are just some more detail pictures, I've got a lot of cleaning to do. I removed all the chrome engine covers, I like the contrast that the factory appearing engine offers. I think the only things I really need to order are a new oil pressure gauge, fuel overflow line, some fuel line for the carb to the fuel valve.

X7MRL4U7Rqmg1nQxouUzuA.jpg

iTrf9CmtTTmVjMpmoMegJQ.jpg

fURTAa4YRrSy+ALDszyRYA.jpg

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Nice!

Before you put too many miles on pull that front pipe and open up the cam chest to check the shoes on the cam chain tensioners or to see if he converted it to a gear drive. That is one of the biggest killers on the early Twin Cam engines.

Reactions: 1 user

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Nice!

Before you put too many miles on pull that front pipe and open up the cam chest to check the shoes on the cam chain tensioners or to see if he converted it to a gear drive. That is one of the biggest killers on the early Twin Cam engines.

I already got thr inspection cover gasket so I can check primary chain tensioner too. I may also check that. I want to see if my dad’s old 2-1 exhuast will fit. So that’d be a good time to check that.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor