BBC in a 79' wagon, how hard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFamilyTruckster

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2014
I just got my hands on a mark5 4 bolt big block, with a bunch of parts. And this has been on my mind, I think I'm wanting to big block the wagon. What does it entail? How hard is it and as long as I keep it in the stock trim (ish), it should be completely streetable. You guys are incredibly helpful, and I thank you for all the input!

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
Should be a bolt in. Been done time and time again. Build up a good transmission and keep an eye on that rearend. Good luck and lots of fun.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If you have a SBC already in place yes it will bolt in everything else is just clearance issues.
Depending if you have a AC/Heater case, heat only case or one of those out of place looking block off plates (IMO) you will possibly need a notch to clear the valve cover.
The smaller dual diaphragm brake booster clears even my valve covers but the larger flatter style booster might cause interference if you have that one and also depends on style and height of valve covers.
Clearance up front gets really tight also depending on your cooling system set up, remember since the rear of the block will be in the same location as a SBC all the extra size goes forward,
I have ran stock GM engine mounts and Moroso solid mounts (which give more header clearance) but both will work.
Stock oil pans and performance 7 quart dual kickout style pans like Milidon or Moroso fit the chassis well and sit flush with the crossmember, I also relocated my steel brake line that is mounted to the backside of the crossmember just so I would not accidentally hit it.
If you run headers the Hooker Super Comp. engine swap headers fit well but people have used the A-Body header with only minimum modifications, I personally have Lemons Race Headers since I find it easier to install with 4 separate primary tubes on each side.
Hood clearance can also be an issue depending on intake and air cleaner assembly style.
You will need brackets for a BBC to mount your accessories either factory or aftermarket or make your own.
Also to make my life easier I always run remote oil filters with AN lines to the front of the car for easy access.
Other than that you will have to upgrade the trans, rearend and possibly cooling and fuel systems depending on what you have now..

Ringers

Greasemonkey
Dec 7, 2011
Look up the 82 Malibu Wagon thrash. I documented much of what I did. I fabricated a lot, so depending on your skill and tooling it isn't tough.

TheFamilyTruckster

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2014
Right now, I'm running a SBC 327... Stock fuel setup until mechanical. So, I'm sure I'm gonna need a electrical pump. Cooling, I'm sure I have to get a beefier radiator, and I'm planningon setting up my extra Taurus SHO dual fan setup in what I have now. Guessing with the bigger rad, it "should" work. Trans.... HHMMM, I'm trying to buy and part out a 86' mcss and rob the 200 and G80, and plan on rebuilding and beefing up before they get put on duty. Will they hold, I dunno. But, I'm still in the parts gathering mode. I still have to get the block machined 60 over. It will be a street duty motor, but 500hp sounds AWESOME. So, stock BBC Malibu motor mounts? I'll start there...

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Since you already have chevy in it the hard part is done. The engine mounts are the same and everything is on the correct side as far as the starter and fuel lines go. Very easy swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor