Be prepared to get screwed if you live in Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, after 8 years of a good Republican governor who abolished the smog check program, new governor Charlie Crist is trying to bring it back, and this time it will be worse than ever! Yes, Crist is really proposing to give us the same bullshit Californians have dealt with for decades, with the same testing program they use. One of the reasons I live in Florida was the lack of smog tests. I, like many Floridians, don't make much money and cannot afford another cost of living increase. The insurance costs here have gone up 200+% in the last few years and many moved due to this. Now, if this goes through, I have found my reason to move to another state. If you live here and are as pissed off as I am, write your state Senator or Representative. Maybe we can get this thing shut down before it hurts us all.

on all cars???... here in ontario we have 0-20 yrs... then your free... thats why i have an 87,83 84 and my 86...

Keep the word out to fight it. I doubt anything will be grandfathered in either. Make lots of people sell their cars that wouldn't meet emissions and the ones that can't afford to repair it. Soundslike where I live thats doubling property taxes. The MAN just isn't worried about us small people.

Maybe there's hope? --> http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62218

check the semasan link on the GBF home page, they'll tell you about any of this kind of junk happening where you live, they also report on the GOOD ones like the above link. Thankfully OK got rid of their insepection program a few years ago because it was just stupid and a waste of time....

Right. SEMA and lots of aftermarket companies are fighting for and with us. If the plans of clunker/junker laws ever passed, I'd be out of a job. We need to keep our cars on the road. Not just in a historic museum. Mine travels only 1000 miles a year (this year its only seen 5 miles), it doesn't pollute much. My daily driver is in good running order and produse less emissions per mile, but over the course of a year it does produce far more than my Monte. We just need to make everyone realize that we r still responsible. I'm glad to see a large community stand up for what I/we belive is right. Thanks for posting the link GP403.

I have not heard much of the details as of yet, only a news story on the local talk station ( 970 WFLA) saying that we were adopting California style regulations. What concerns me is that if they did, my 85 Olds would be difficult to get through an IM 240 style test as it does not have all of it's smog equipment, and while I own 90% of it, including a 305 computer, harness, distributor, smog pump, etc, there are some pieces that are not easily found like the AIR tube for a 3 way catalyst and a 3 way 3 in cat. I also drive a 1998 Nissan Frontier with 262k miles on it as my daily driver and seriously doubt it would pass too. I am returning to college in the fall for Mechanical Engineering and plan to deliver pizza to work my way through college ( I currently manage a pizza place). This places a 30-50k mile a year burden on the truck, and while I do expect another 200-250k miles out of it's original engine, I do not expect it to be as clean running as the day it was new. I, and many others like me, may not be able to afford to repair our older cars, and I cannot afford to replace mine as the car payment and extra insurance would be beyond my financial means. If I can't drive, I can't work. My Cutlass is a backup car for me that is not intended to take that kind of use now as I planned it as a nice cruiser that may see 12k miles a year, not 50k, so using it is out of the question to😵ne of the reasons many of us moved to this state was a lower cost of living which is unfortunately no longer a reality. Now I am in a situation where I would need to move but could not afford to because it would change my state residency status for the sake of college attendance, almost tripling tuition in some scenarios. Anyhow, if anyone else has some more details of this proposal, I would appreciate it if they were posted here.

R/T kota said:
crappycutlass said:
on all cars???... here in ontario we have 0-20 yrs... then your free... thats why i have an 87,83 84 and my 86...
under the new law the 20 years stops at 87. 88 and newer cars will now always have to be tested

i didnt know that.... THAT's BS... i also heard the roumor of it being canned it 08...thats a dream tho...

the ontario govt is geting crazy anymore....

What did you understand to be the reason for returning to emissions controls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor