Beater (no, really!?) Regal Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
You know, I did pull some of them last time I was at the salvage yard...

I need to hit one tomorrow, looking for a rear sway bar, another set of jounce bars and maybe a big front sway bar off of a Camaro Z/28 or IROC or something.

Looking good, I like the Welds.

I'll dig out my Granny hood and the cowl hood and see which one looks best.

Pics of some of my other G-bodies:
Project '81 Malibu I saved from craigslist
100_1993.jpg

The before shot:
100_1986.jpg

1978 GMC Caballero 454 four speed 3.42 posi:
SAM_0110.jpg

My daily driver 'retro-ride' 1980 Malibu:
SAM_0076.jpg

SAM_0077.jpg

There are more, but, no really slick ones. Maybe if I only had one car, now there is an idea...!!?!

383S10

Master Mechanic
Mar 16, 2008
Toney, AL
Now the white Malibu with the Vette wheels is now my favorite of your cars........im subscribed to this build now........and the G-bodies seem to grow in Tulsa like in a pumpkin patch............

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Thanks, I dig my ol' Malibu.

Lets see, made some progress today in spite of the rain, and freaking earth quakes!!?! I live in Oklahoma, earthquakes, REALLY!!?!

Alt-a/c bracket in black, new alternator, new belts, new upper hose from a 1980 Big car Buick with a 3.8, lower is oddly enough, for a 3.8 in a Regal (I didn't have to cut it). New hood supports, new thermo-fan clutch.
SAM_0407.jpg

F-body radiator on some insulator pads from the salvage yard:
SAM_0410.jpg

Shroud went in like it was made for it:
SAM_0412.jpg

SAM_0411.jpg

And, in spite of the said rain, I hit the salvage yard for some stuffs today, including the radiator mounts/pads, a hollow huge sway bar from '02 Z/28, another hollow huge sway bar from '89 Trans Am, rear sway bar and control arms from 80's Cutlass, an aluminum Trailblazer drive shaft (about 3/8" shorter than G-body with Turbo350 & 7.5 rear), two Jeep steering shafts and some misc under hood braces...no jounce bars, but, it was raining!

SAM_0414.jpg

Combined with the new parts, the Regal will be on hold for a short time, uh, gotta' make some more monies to spend!

Coming next, hopefully some low cost stuff, like cleaning up the inner fenders, making room on the a/c box, and swapping on one of the hoods, blacking out window trim...etc

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Well,
It cackled to life today!

I broke in the cam, and, engine for that matter.

Made a mess with the anti-freeze because I didn't have the overflow tank in place.

Transmission seems to pull and not leak!

Gotta' do some jetting on the Edelbrock carb, it feels lean.

I will try the 350 Buick early style motor mounts to see if that drops the engine any. Going to run the valves/re-adjust the pushrods tomorrow. This Poston GS-110 cam is supposed to have a slight lope, I think. If all is well, and it will stop, might make a trip around the neighborhood. Its loud and obnoxious with only the 'Y' pipe for exhaust.

Gonna' hang the chrome valve covers on the wall and run the later style stockers with some more a/c box room.

Now, if I could only find a 3 series posi carrier for the 7.5....

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Thanks!

Today, adjusted the push rods. Cleaned up the upper core support and upper shroud. Went back to stock valve covers. Stuck on the 350-4 Buick air cleaner decal.

SAM_0415.jpg

Notice the gaping hole in the a/c box. Now, I can address it and the heater hose debacle.

Shot of the air cleaner & decal

SAM_0418.jpg

And the throttle linkage I ended up with:

SAM_0416.jpg

Taking the inner fenders to work with me Friday, if I have any time I am cleaning them up and going gloss black.

Question?
Best place to get a new overflow tank and washer bottle?

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
I love a Buick engine in a Buick! I really don't know what more people don't replace the 3.8's with Buick 350's. The painted valve covers look better than the chrome ones IMO too.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Thanks for the ebay links.

Anybody buy from GbodyParts.com ? :?:
They show to have new GM overflow and washer bottle, and are a sponsor to the site. Free shipping for Black Friday weekend.

I think I am going to give them a call/try.

Support what supports my habit, so to speak... :!:

Thanks, I dig the red valve covers too. The thing I liked about the chrome valve covers was the flat are to put the 350-4 foil valve cover sticker!?! I found a place that sell GS/GSX/Skylark hardware, guy is supposed to have chrome OEM style valve cover hardware, waiting on a reply. I am a big proponent of right make motor in a vehicle!

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
How about some Krylon Plastic Fusion paint on a different set of inner fenders....? Touched up the inner fender brace/support too.
Before:
SAM_0393.jpg

After:
SAM_0424.jpg

Gotta spray the inner fender bolts on a warmer day.

Got the Edelbrock 750 to come around.
Next is exhaust, I am thinking 2-1/2" with Flowmasters or Thrush welded mufflers...

Then some heater hoses and air box surgery.
Not sure if I wanna' use flashing, bought a roll from the home improvement store or some 0.070 plastic sheeting from the dirt track racing supply/store. Then I will paint the a/c box.

Going to clean up the cruise transducer tomorrow at the station, can't have it be all old and nasty on a slick black inner fender!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor