Beating my head against the wall. Sbc random missfire

Status
Not open for further replies.
what distributor are you using and have you checked the pick up coil and the star wheel on the shaft?

M.Bailey said:
I was talking with my dad and he seemed to think u could have a bad valve guide. Running e85 it washes the oil off the valve stem as it come through the intake and out the exhaust ( obviously not as much on the exhaust side to to burnt fuel) but if the valve isnt sitting on the seat correctly u would be losing compression. pressurized the cylinder with air and listen to where its going. could do a compression test as well
That's what happened to me. I had a misfire off idle in DRIVE to about 1500rpm. Couldn't find out what it was. I replaced everything electrical. Finally I put a compression test/leakdown test on it and there was no compression in #1 and #7. Exhaust valve leaks. Do a compression test before you spend too much on unnecessary parts.

have you removed the plug so see if it's wet with fuel right after you have run the engine, if it is it's an ignition problem

5% is actually pretty good, I believe up to 15% is reasonable?

My personal experience was plugs on the 383... had a usually minor misfire between 1800-2100rpm, turns out the plugs were causing it.

I didn't notice if you had... did you check that specific plug wire?

I've heard the term MSD:May Suddenly Die

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor