Beef up 200r4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridgeline

Greasemonkey
Jan 19, 2008
Getting ready to redo my drive line motor to rear end. I have a 200r4 in an 87 El Camino now. I am not crazy about getting rid of it, however I would like to have it rebuilt locally to handle around 300 horses and possibly pull a 3500 lb. bike trailer on occasion. What recommendations can be made to beef up the transmission so I can still use it?
Thanks

thunderbolt

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 13, 2008
West Melbourne Florida
there is a company on e bay selling them for approx. $900.00 that will handle 600 hp. I have been told by my transmission guy who has built a few for me and are always top notch and handle any thing i throw at them that they are real awsome trannys if they are built right. as strong as the well built 700r4 if built right but they are geared better. so if you buy one let me know ho it works for you. i am putting a ls 5 454 with 450 hp and 500 ft lbs into my g body and i like you am not to eagar to change trannys.

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
Find a shop with a history of successfully building hi performance 200-4r as they need special parts prep etc. It does not say in your profile where you are from but if you can't find that locally I would crate it or pay the core charge to one of the many hi po 200-4r shops around the country. Otherwise like many other before you.. you will likely wish you had. You pretty much need a basic with update improvement and some of these may skip over a basic quality rebuild but for an extra $200 or someting you might opt up for down the road as you get alot for a little at that point. Some examples would be www.2004r.com or www.200raptor.com or www.ptsxtreme.com or www.ckperformance.com or www.extremeautomatics.com. I bought what is now Lonnie's level one at at extremeautomatics and added the billet drum upgrade and its held 570TQ 509ci for 9,000 abusive miles. Also I would buy from him again but partly because he is in driveing distance as he is not always easy to reach on the phone.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/catalog/catalog.php?Action=GETSUBCAT&CATID=C
the 200r4 is a great trans. it had fewer internal problems than the 700r4, which was built for the corvette. the only problem was that most people didn't know how to adjust the TV cable properly.
you will want to be able to lock up the torque converter in 2nd and 3rd for towing. it's easy to do on your own.
the advantage to the guys like bowtie and ckperformance is the parts that they make for the trans. most places just get the "packages" and put them in. you could do that yourself much cheaper.
i have been hearing about problems with the "raptor" transmissions. bowtie and especially ck seem to be the best, that i've heard about anyway. i don't know pts or extreme, so i can't speak for or against.
if you get one from bowtie (and probably anyone else) you do want to specify a dual bolt patern and a Grand National calibration for best performance.

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california
Original Parts Group (opg) also offers a 200-4r. http://www.opgi.com/product.asp?topcati ... yearrange= ....... It advertises that the 2004R is the same length as a TH350 or a Powerglide, and it has the same drive yoke as the TH350 and Powerglide, which means you can utilize the stock driveshaft. How true is this?

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
Bruce from PTS was main innovator of high performance parts for the 200-4r. Great workmanship professional businss stands behind their work etc but priced to match. Lonnie at Extreme has been building them for the GN racers for 14+ years. He has great transmissions for the price and will stand behind his work. Only trouble in my experience is that as a small shop he sometimes get behind and also likes some of the benefits of being self employed. So if he is buzy he may get back to you when he gets back to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor