Problem 200r4

1320chevy

Apprentice
Jun 23, 2023
Bought an "exotic build" 200r4 transmission for our G body (85 montecarlo). Unit has all the bells and whistles offered. Special pump, special clutches, all thrust washers replaced with rollers, many hard parts custom made from billet or heavily modified. Valve body is of this companies own design and is supposed to be based upon the best oem but with many "secret" modifications. Converter was supplied by the same company and is supposed to be around 3000 stall with no lockup feature. OK, the problem is that the unit has never worked properly but being patient, we kept sending it back in hopes that they would make it work. (unit has been in and out of the car over seven times and NEVER has worked right. SO, WHAT'S THE PROBLEM? Well, it has finally sunken in that the shop that created it, is in way over their heads and simply don't have the knowledge base to draw from to make it work. The main problem is, this is a race car. During competition, the driver makes a shift at lets say, 6500rpm. The transmission does not respond. It does not slip and the rpms do not flair but keep going up as if the next gear had never been selected. Then, at random, it will shift. This is unpredictable with regard to rpm but always happens. You simply cannot depend upon it for any kind of consistency.. Yes, fluid is full and is not ever burned. The shop contends that this is impossible and that we are just wrong. We took this unit out of service and replaced it with a th350 and the problem is gone. so, it's not us or the car. This unit has cost us over $4,000 and I'd really like to have it working.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Sorry to hear of your transmission woes. However, You neglected to name the shop.
That and new in the group, first post ever is that above...

Sarcastic After You GIF by Celebs Go Dating

Reactions: 1 user

1320chevy

Apprentice
Jun 23, 2023
Shop is Extreme Automatics in Ohio. Very nice people but they just cannot service what they built.
And, yes, I don't regularly post in forums because when I began racing, there were no forums and you figured out stuff for yourself. Been racing since 1967 and have worked on many high $ cars and teams. Retired (ha) now. and have built this car for my nephew. Everything I've done works and it really annoys me to have relied upon someone else and for them to never get the job done. So, as usual, it's up to me to gather as much info as I can and do this myself.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Full manual - so are you saying you move the shifter to the next gear and it doesn’t shift?

1320chevy

Apprentice
Jun 23, 2023
Full manual - so are you saying you move the shifter to the next gear and it doesn’t shift?
Right... shift and nothing happens , then, a moment later it shifts, but sometimes it's one moment and sometimes it will hold on 'till the rpms are nearing 7k before ti shifts.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor