Best Bang For The Buck

Status
Not open for further replies.

85streetss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 31, 2010
am building my new motor and I am looking at rear suspension options. My question is...to frame notch or back half? I understand the frame notch is much easier, but when you consider the cost of aftermarket upper and lower control arms, frame support, anti roll bars, reinforcing control arm mounts and a bolt in 9in rear...at what point do you just say the #### with it and install the S&W back half kit? any input would be appreciated and pics of the S&W kit would be great

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
If I was to that point I would modify the existing rear frame section for a custom 4-link suspension setup. I have always wondered what kind of modifying bumper mounting and that sort of things to the aftermarket back-half section?

85streetss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 31, 2010
The S&W kit does not effect bumper mounts ect. It welds in and the frame rail in the wheel well is removed, leaving the rear stock frame rails.

heavy d

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 7, 2009
Northern Il.
What is your goal? Forget about the cost for a minute. If your going to do it right, the difference between the two isnt that much. You can go really fast on a small tire, but the big tire look is cool. You need to worry about what you want, not what everybody else wants. And theres no such thing as a budget no matter what the magazines say. Build it right, and build it how you want. :mrgreen:

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Depends on how much tire you need. Modified stock suspensions can really hook.

If you're not going to be going mid 10's or faster I don't see a reason to back half... You can probably not even have to notch the frame at those speeds on slicks. There are some extremely fast cars running in the 10.5 inch tire class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor