Best Front Stage...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garrow215

Apprentice
Aug 23, 2009
Burke, NY
Ok guys I'm redoing the whole system in my Monte, and desperately need some front stage help. I've got my subs and amps but my question is this...I have a bnib set of Powerbass Xtreme 6.5" components in my garage. I really don't think I want to put these in the kick panels so is it possible to get these in the bottom of the door panel, similar to a Concert Sound II setup? I've heard that these kick quite a bit so I was thinking if I can get the speakers and crossovers in the door and run the tweeters in the 3.5" locations that should be a drastic improvement. Any help is greatly appreciated...thanks guys!

bonesninja

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2009
Lima, Ohio
Garrow215 said:
Ok guys I'm redoing the whole system in my Monte, and desperately need some front stage help. I've got my subs and amps but my question is this...I have a bnib set of Powerbass Xtreme 6.5" components in my garage. I really don't think I want to put these in the kick panels so is it possible to get these in the bottom of the door panel, similar to a Concert Sound II setup? I've heard that these kick quite a bit so I was thinking if I can get the speakers and crossovers in the door and run the tweeters in the 3.5" locations that should be a drastic improvement. Any help is greatly appreciated...thanks guys!

it would involve either cutting the door or building a pod that sticks out kind of obnoxiously in the cabin off the door. I prefer the kickpanel myself. The other concern about cutting the door is window clearance. They do make a prefab set of lower door panels for your car with built in speaker holes but you really would have to use a very slimline speaker...such as CDT Audio EF51 or EF61 neo slimlines. And you have to deaden the crap out the plastic panel so it doesnt rattle like heck. I would also advise against putting the crossover in the door because of water.

Heres a pic of what i did in my cutlass and it sounded sweet.

DSC02105.jpg

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Yeah, I would not put the crossovers in the doors either. I run the CSII mounts with aftermarket speakers in them, and I put the driver's side crossover behind the radio with Velcro tape and the passenger's side behind the glovebox. Both are mounted to the air conditioning system and cause no clearance issues. The Velcro I used is an industrial type sold by Wal Mart in the fabric center. The speakers I used were not very expensive ( Phoenix Gold 5.25 separates I got off E-Bay for $65 with shipping), but they make a HUGE difference in the front sound stage over the stock 3.5's. They are run of a 75 watt per channel 4 channel amp mounted in the trunk. I did have to cut some metal out of the door to get them to fit, even with the stock mounts. I think GM used a different door stamping in CSII Regals to fit the speakers, because they will not fit without cutting. You have to be careful when cutting that you do not cut too much. This area is critical for support of the power window motor so you need to leave enough behind that the door won't stress crack.

I also used baffles to keep the back of the speakers dry. The speakers did not like being sealed though and would make really bad sounds when I turned up the volume. I solved this by cutting a small port in the bottom of the baffle. There was still some bad sound coming from the passenger's side though, and I had to cut the hole in the door a little larger to let it breathe properly. This may not be the case with your woofers, but it was with mine.

Garrow215

Apprentice
Aug 23, 2009
Burke, NY
That looks like what I might have to do is go for the kick panels...I read something like...you had to move your E-brake too? What kind of job does that turn into? lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 158

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
Here's where i put my 5 1/4's in my door, I think it came out pretty neat and it doesn't look obnoxious as someone has said it would. I am sure that you will hear them clearer than down low in the kick panels where the sound is blocked by your feet and legs, especially if you have a passenger. Actually the kick panels make a good spot to put the crossovers which is exactly where i put mine, nice and neat and dry. The down side is that you do have to cut the door panels but not the doors themselves as there is plenty of room right where i put mine where there is no metal. I already had the wholes in my panels as there were 4" speakers there before, so i was kind of committed to that spot. But you have 6.5's which are too big for the doors and i'm not sure how big of a speaker the pods can handle either.
door_panel_speaker.jpg

bonesninja

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2009
Lima, Ohio
Garrow215 said:
That looks like what I might have to do is go for the kick panels...I read something like...you had to move your E-brake too? What kind of job does that turn into? lol

its not that bad...all you have to do is bend the pedal...not actually move it.

silent_orchestra

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2009
Omaha, NE
Check out Dixiemontecarlo.com they've got door panels that will take a 5 1/4" speaker and a 6" with a little work... I was contemplating buying a set for my Cutlass but I want to find out a bit more about them first...

drknow90rs

Greasemonkey
Aug 12, 2009
Wittmann, AZ
Kind of an old post, but I'll share. The lower and farthest forward you can place your speakers from your ears, the better chance you will have of creating accurate staging. The kick panels are usually the best choice, but not always.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
drknow90rs said:
Kind of an old post, but I'll share. The lower and farthest forward you can place your speakers from your ears, the better chance you will have of creating accurate staging. The kick panels are usually the best choice, but not always.

Yup, what he said. Any good installer will tell you the same thing.

drknow90rs

Greasemonkey
Aug 12, 2009
Wittmann, AZ
Yup, what he said. Any good installer will tell you the same thing.[/quote]

Thank you! I owned my own shop for several years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor