Best octane boost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZ4CutlaSS

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2011
Minnesota
The highest octane fuel I can buy locally is only 91. My ZZ4 requires 92 or better. So im wondering what everyone has had the best luck with. I have been using Lucas Octane boost but dont really notice a difference. Good thing is im not pinging now but had to back the timing 2 degrees.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
I don't really use any octane booster. One thing I've noticed about the ones I've sold or seen in stores is that when they say they up the octane by one or two points or however many is that its tenths of a point. So going from 91 to 91.2 doesn't really seem like justification for spending 8 bucks. I am sure there may be better ones I am unaware of so hopefully you can find one. I know you said thats the highest octane you can get locally. Have you checked at the race tracks? Or online to see where any race fuels are sold. You would be better off dumping a gallon of 104 into 5 gallons of 91 or do the math on the ratio and you can figure it out. Of course some of the race fuel is leaded so steer clear if you have sensors that can't handle lead. Good luck.

chstonebraker

Greasemonkey
Feb 27, 2012
my buddy travis normall goes out and buys 5 gallons of 112 racing fuel and puts like a gallon of it in per tank and he has a camaro so the tank isnt that big... big difference and car runs cooler and much better.

454cutlass

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2009
mass
I have used toluene in the past. I belive its 116 octane. Its found in paint supply stores with all the other paint thinners. You can also look up torco racing fuel

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
All octane boosters are made up of a chemical which is illegal to distribute to individual consumers so they are 'cut' with less hostile chemicals and made under different brand names generally using the same or similar formulas. I know this from working at a chemical plant for a short time. I don't recall the name of the chemical but it's methyl- something or other and you should really just buy the cheapest octane booster because they're all a scam selling you pretty much the same chemical at a different price and all you're really buying is their name and the fancy design on their bottle. Just get the cheapest one, and as a matter of fact if you see a half size bottle of 'motorcycle octane booster' and its cheaper just get that b/c its really just the same thing so why pay more money for it either way?

It sounds like they are using really crappy gas out your way, you might want to look into something called 'sta-bil' if your car is running badly on e10 / e15 or blend gasoline. You could be treating symptoms to the wrong diagnoses

Smokes442

Apprentice
Jan 20, 2012
454cutlass said:
I have used toluene in the past. I belive its 116 octane. Its found in paint supply stores with all the other paint thinners. You can also look up torco racing fuel

How were you mixing it? Did it work with no ill effects?

Smokes442

Apprentice
Jan 20, 2012
ZZ4CutlaSS said:
The highest octane fuel I can buy locally is only 91. My ZZ4 requires 92 or better. So im wondering what everyone has had the best luck with. I have been using Lucas Octane boost but dont really notice a difference. Good thing is im not pinging now but had to back the timing 2 degrees.

What is your set-up, I'm getting away with 91 octane in my 406, the timings at 35*, the compression is 10.4 with iron eagles, my Dynamic #s are like 8.0s with the cam i'm running.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Plain and simple, octane boosters are just a gimick for taking your money. They do not work. At least not like they advertise.

As mentioned, they are not increasing your octane by full points (as they lead you to believe) but rather tenths of a point. If you are running 93 octane and dump in some 104+ octane booster you'll be lucky to get 93.2 octane or similar.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
The only good octane booster is a proper quench setup in your engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor