Best Of Both worlds

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2009
Hilton head island, SC / Wilmington, NC
Alright, hypothetical question.

What if you built like a hybrid smallblock, took an early SBC block and machined the deck to use LS1 style heads, use a haigh block with a nice bore, like 4.00" and a really badass set of LS1 heads, like 225's, wouldn't that be a pretty sick motor?

You've got the cast iron and better design of the early SBC's on the bottom end, and the superior top end of the LS motors. What do you guys think??

I belive that Dart or World Products or somebody already has a block like that.

Yep, its out there already. But why not take advantage of the iron block 6.0 and 6 bolt mains that come with them? I hear they'll handle big HP without bursting at the seams.

cast iron and better design of the early SBC's
huh? the LS comes in cast iron. but why not loose all that weight? the cylinder walls are iron sleeved on the GM aluminum blocks, so you have the strength there. and the 6bolt splayed mains handle a but load more power, stock, than a gen 1.
and with the work involved to jury rig a set of LS heads, you'd spend a fortune! just buy an LS block. you can get them, used, pretty cheap these days.

Larryg said:
Yep, its out there already. But why not take advantage of the iron block 6.0 and 6 bolt mains that come with them? I hear they'll handle big HP without bursting at the seams.

there was a 2500HD siverado at the shop next to where I work yesterday, with the 8.1 gas engine in it.... joked around with the service manager not to let it sit outside that night, or the regal would have a new powerplant! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor