Best security methods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
What are the best ways to secure one of these vehicles? I was just reminded of the need today when someone stopped me and asked if my Regal was for sale. I had that happen about 4 times with my old '81 and eventually the 81 was stolen. (thankfully, it was found within a couple days lodged in the side of a van. Winner: Regal)
So yeah, these cars are very desirable among certain segments of the population and I don't have a garage (and the Nissan 280Z parked in front of me recently had its T-tops smashed).

So yeah. I'm a little nervous now (especially since insurance won't cover a fifth of what I've spent on her) - suggestions?

Reactions: 1 user

SBCregal

Master Mechanic
Jan 22, 2006
armed guards haha

if a thief wants your car, they're getting it
nobody pays attention to alarms anymore, and any decent car thief can get around it...especially on something without a ton of electronics

the club...that'll help someone steal a car most time (lots of leverage to break the steering locks then a pair of bolt cutters to cut the steering wheel....club slides right off

its an unfortunate part of car ownership but its true. the thiefs are always a step ahead

ryan

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
pager alarm, column lock!, kill switch on ignition and/or distributor power wire, the club and being carefull where you park. i always watch behind me when i turn into my neighbor hood to make sure no one is following me also. thats my method so far...

Reactions: 1 users

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
I have the steering column shell that bolts around the column with a special lock. You can't break the column and drive away easily because of that!

Along with a few other "special" modifications, someone will have to just tow mine away with a truck to get it.

twisted

Apprentice
Feb 16, 2008
the club is a joke one good hit with a hammer and it unlocks. my suggestion is either a battery disconnect switch or a switch to kill the power to the distributor.

Rockstar

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2007
Tampa,Fl
On my last car i had a pager alarm and had the alarm hooked up to the train horns behind the grille so when the alarm went off everyone in a 3 mile radius knew it. I want to try and make some sort of push button start that needs a special key instead of the regular column key.

87MonteSS

Master Mechanic
Jan 3, 2006
Winnipeg, Canada
If you know how relays work you can build your own system that a thief wouldn't be able to bypass easily.

For example, to start the car you need to do the following:

Step on the brakes and hold them, have the removable face from the stereo in and the stereo turned on and have the parking brake on. You can even make it so that each thing must be done in a specific order. You can add or remove steps, things like the park lights must be on, but not the headlights, the interior light must be on, but the door must be closed, etc etc..

The part that makes it hard to bypass easily is taking out a good foot or more of the ignition harness so it can't just be jumped back together where it's cut for the relays.

You can also connect relays so that the coil + terminal is grounded when the car isn't running. An attempt to jump a power wire to the coil would result in the jumper wire melting immediately.

Of course none of this prevents theft of contents or an interior trashing, but at least they can't get the car without a tow truck.

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
Pitbull chained to the steering wheel.Honestly good insurance alarms starter kill fuel kill all that won't stop a tow truck or car dolly.I clean all my guns on my front porch once a week no ones been brave enough to break in to anything i own.Cheapest way is to take the coil wire with you it cant start with out one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor