Best time/weather to paint prep car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defpunk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 15, 2010
Rancho Cordova, California
My cutlass is my daily driving vehicle right now. As I am in the process of restoring it, I want to get a new paint by Feb-Mar of 2011. The paint that's on the car is so bad I'm willing to roll around in primer for the next 2 or 3 months. But the question is, is it a good idea to sand/primer/fill on the car body during the rainy season of the year? I live in Rancho Cordova, California where it only gets 29 degrees with showers of rain, no ice, no snow, just rain and cold. So, would it be better to just wait out the rainy weather or does it really matter if I drive out in rain with a freshly primered car.

CUTLASSJESSE

Greasemonkey
Jul 31, 2009
Pecatonica,IL
its not a good idea to drive in the rain with your car primered primer will absorb water really easy then make one hell of a mess out of your car

username

Master Mechanic
Jul 21, 2009
Tennessee
I am not a paint guy, but IMO I would rather spray a car with dollar store spray paint to cover bare metal than put fresh primer on a car and drive it around in the rain.It burns me up to see a vehicle sanded down and put in primer and thats as far as it ever goes within a short while its a rust bucket been many a classic die this fate. :cry:

nullshine

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2010
Don't bother with half-measures and procrastination. Do it all in one shot.

If you sand, clean and fill the surface of your vehicle, then prime it, then drive around (I don't care what kind of weather it is), the surface will become (at very LEAST) contaminated, possibly chipped, scratched. Maybe get some moisture into your filler.

After all that its not like you can take your car into the garage and just spray it. You now have to (at the bare minimum) decontaminate the surface, and probably much more, in order to get it ready to spray. You also have to re-mask everything.

I've never understood the idea of leaving a car in primer. In a way, it doubles your prep work, and depending on how the car is left, may essentially damage your sheet metal.

The best time/weather to paint prep a car is in a warm, clean, dry booth/garage without exposure to outside contaminants/moisture.

EDIT: I'm also not a paint guy.

Kris_84elky

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2010
Your gonna want to wait till some warmer weather and less humidity. Filler and primer will take a long time to dry and might not cure correctly and if it's humid it could trap moisture under it and eventually causing it to flake and fall off. Also it can cause it to bubble. If you want to paint it I would also wait to prime it right before the paint because driving around with primer is a bad idea. The primer will absorb moisture and lead to rust and bubbling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor