best way to clean a gas tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unclelchap

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2010
Lawrenceville, Ga. 30046
my car has been sitting for about 2 yrs now, i put in some sta bil about a year ago but im sure it was already too late. i dropped the tank yesterday and the inside is a little nasty. the gas was muddy looking and there are some particles inside, right at where the sending unit sits. im not too sure what it is, maybe rust. i tried to turn it over and get the gas out but because of the baffles its a little difficult. my questions are: a: how do i get the gas out? b: how do i clean it? or c: where can i take it to let someone do it for me? thanx in advance!

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
You could try taking it to a radiator shop. A lot of the time they can boil gas tanks to clean them, however I don't know how that would work with the plastic baffle that's in the EFI tanks.

I took my GN tank to the local radiator/tractor shop and they didn't want to mess with it due to the baffle. The guy there mentioned using kerosene (I think, it's been a while) and sloshing it around in the tank and then pouring it out. Said to do that a few times and it would clean it out pretty good.

Unclelchap

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2010
Lawrenceville, Ga. 30046
FE3X CLONE said:
You could try taking it to a radiator shop. A lot of the time they can boil gas tanks to clean them, however I don't know how that would work with the plastic baffle that's in the EFI tanks.

I took my GN tank to the local radiator/tractor shop and they didn't want to mess with it due to the baffle. The guy there mentioned using kerosene (I think, it's been a while) and sloshing it around in the tank and then pouring it out. Said to do that a few times and it would clean it out pretty good.

thanks bro, my dad told me the same thing about the radiator shops. i didnt know some wont touch it because of the baffle. ill give it a shot though.

st1nger

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 8, 2011
go to home depot buy two gal of pool acid Muratic acid add to five gal clear water pull sending unit fill tank with mixture let stand 15min slosh around tank let stand 15 more min. slosh 15 more dispose of liqiud down drain or in graval bed
take hose wash out mixture re wash 2 or 3 time take gal of water 1 large box of baking soda put in water pour in mostly empty tank slosh let sit slosh let sit empty tank remove as much water as possibleflush tank take air line with nozzle blow out tank till dry

before everyone gos nuts muratic is extremely weak will work on sludge,varnish and rust baking soda kills any residue left over done this on a lot of tanks and never had a problem last one was a mercedes that had set with fuel for 6year gas was like mallaess tank looked new never any problem

NOTE WEAR GLOVES LONG SLEEVE AND SAFETY GLASSES FLUSH ANY AREA WITH WATER WHERE MIXTURE SLASHES OR SPILLS ON YOU TAKE YOUR TIME NOT A RACE IT IS A LOOK ANS SEE TYPE OPERATION IT MAKE TAKE AN HOUR VS 45 MIN

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
Not that there r any light rad shops left here but for cost they wanted . The rust on top from sitting its cheaper and less hassle to replace . If I take a tank off anything for any reason a new one is going on just tired of them leaking down road

houndin101

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2010
drop a match in it...should clean it right up lol :)

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
houndin101 said:
drop a match in it...should clean it right up lol :)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor