Better Shifter Cable than Stock ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I have broken my 3rd shifter cable in 7 years. They all pull the sheath out of the plastic housing where it clips on to the shifter bracket. This cable I put in just this spring.

Anyone use something stronger than stock. Or any suggestions on a way to "beef" up the stock unit ?

Its not like I am really leaning hard on it, there is no binding and I can easily switch gears by grabbing the column.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
not sure, but I went by performance improvements at lunch. He flipped thru some books and clicked away on his PC and came up with an adjustable cable for only $ 265.00 ............
I ended up replacing the broken one with another stock unit. My parts guy gave it to me N/C under warrantee :) Its pretty bad when you walk in the store and everybody knows your name. I guess between the Monte, the boat, friends cars and 2 DD's I spend a fair amount of $$ in there.

Lets see how long this one holds up

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Not sure why your stock cable isn't lasting. I've never had an issue with the lightning rods in my car. Are you sure it's installed correctly?
I've never had an issue either in any of my gbodys over the years. I wonder if his use case is different than mine? Maybe he does a lot of 'stop and go' and his shifter sees lots of action.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Its all stock. I swapped from 350c to 200-4r about 5 years ago now. Stock 4speed shifter, modified 350c trans bracket to reach all the gears. There might be a little slop in the column linkage but nothing excessive. Really I only drop it down to d when I want passing gear without the noise of kicking it down.

GP- I got the price for the universal cable and went back to my regular parts guy for the replacement stock unit

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I used what I had :)

You know how it goes..... its about 8pm on friday night. At a lifelong friends(1) house changing the oil a week after a motor swap and a couple other friends drop by. We are drinking beers looking at my car on the hoist and the stockpile of parts we have amassed.

friend1 - hows the new motor holding up ?

me- pretty good. Loads of newfound power, passing everything but the gas station

friend 1 - You know, your brakes are all ready to go sitting in the box over there. And that 4 speed trans out of my monte is still under the table over there.

me - yeah I know, but my 3speed trans is holding out OK with the new motor. But I get no traction with the 3.42 peg-leg in the car now

friend 1 - well the matching 3.73 posi rear out of my car is under the tarp in the corner over there. Don't need it since I swapped in the 8.5 and I really could use the space.

me : how much you want ??

friend1 - give friend2 $100 for coffee's, beer, pizza lunch, trans fluid and a filter. Leave your car here tonight and come back 7am saturday morning with your van and trailer ! Lets see what we cant get done

......so 4 guys working saturday morning and by noon I am rolling with 3.73's, Brakes all round, and a 200-4r. When you are on a roll like that you cut, paste, weld, and otherwise make what you need and / or missing to get it on the road.
Really the bracket was cut and sleeved to make it adjustable a full 3"

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor