BETTY RUMBLE - '87 Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Oh yeah, I bit the bullet and ordered up wheels and tires (backordered but for the price I'll wait!) ... parts to do a front end (steering linkage/control arm bushings) rebuild, spare belts, window motors, I think all the LED's except for the headlights, and I have all the parts now to do a rally-gauge swap and fix the noisy speedo cable.....

Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Oh yeah, I bit the bullet and ordered up wheels and tires (backordered but for the price I'll wait!) ... parts to do a front end (steering linkage/control arm bushings) rebuild, spare belts, window motors, I think all the LED's except for the headlights, and I have all the parts now to do a rally-gauge swap and fix the noisy speedo cable.....
Sweet, moving along. What wheels did you end up going with?

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Finished for now. If anyone comes across the proper set of hangers let me know. This will have to work in the meantime. It's not that bad of a jerry-rig anyway. I removed the original hangers and just used the holes to attach these universal types, held to the pipe with a regular muffler clamp.. The other side looks basically the same.

IMG_1722.jpg

The pipes/mufflers fit up pretty well. There might be some contact with the control arms, I can't really tell. I didn't hear any clunking around when I drove it.

Sounds 100% better than that big ugly can and single pipe. I think my TV cable must not be set right since its hard to get it to downshift. Inside the car while driving the difference is barely noticable. At idle its definitely better, especially when you play with the gas a bit.

All said I'm probably in for less than $400 on this, including the better clamps and assortment of hangers I bought to make this work. Would have only taken a couple of hours if not for hacksawing the muffler out and head-scratching about the hangers.

I should have done the shocks while I was in there but time ran out on me....

IMG_1723.jpg

They could maybe sit a bit higher, and the right sticks out a bit more than the left... eh, take what I can get at this point.

IMG_1724.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Sweet, moving along. What wheels did you end up going with?

I went with the Hursts. Assuming the backorder holds and everything goes my way, I got the wheels and a set of Firehawks that were on clearance. Those vn501's are pretty but the price won me over.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Cool, i like the Hurst wheels too, just wasn't sure they would fit the overall theme of my cutlass when finished. Where did you end up finding the firehawks at? I've been torn on a couple tire brands. Preciated in advance!

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Cool, i like the Hurst wheels too, just wasn't sure they would fit the overall theme of my cutlass when finished. Where did you end up finding the firehawks at? I've been torn on a couple tire brands. Preciated in advance!

Tire Rack. The whole package, mounted, balanced and delivered to my door came in at almost exactly $900. Hopefully it doesn't get canceled.

Reactions: 1 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Rather than continue with this "UNNAMED" crap I'm naming this "Project Blue Book" just because it was something I came up with and its blue. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Rather than continue with this "UNNAMED" crap I'm naming this "Project Blue Book" just because it was something I came up with and its blue. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Been awesome if it was black....project black book....the ride with a bunch of dirty sleeper secrets!

Reactions: 1 user

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Did you purchase that radio recently? Looks to be about 2000 era
Yup, more or less, about 2002-3 I think. eBay special. The factory unit had a blown left channel and it was literally the only upgrade I could find that was a) cheap, b) fit the 1.5DIN hole, and c) had an easy AUX cable hookup. I'll admit its a compromise, but if something better comes along its an easy swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor