Big Brake Ducting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Them little holes aren't going to make a difference really. We all applaud the innovation, just no need and if completed needs to be done correctly.

He probably has a sliver in the hat area for the air to squeak through like I did before I revised my setup. What would be more effective here would be to place the duct an inch or 2 away from the hat in hopes that Bernoulli's principle works with you to blow more air toward the hat than the duct itself can carry. Without a shroud, the effectiveness will be pretty limited anyway. I tried running street pads with proper ducting on the track and it was a mess, better off with good pads and zero ducting.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
just no need and if completed needs to be done correctly.
i agree it needs to be done correctly. So far from what i see just the back side of the rotor will be cooled down and frankly its concerning because half of the rotor will be cooled and the other half will get nothing I'm not even sure the metal used can tolerate temperatures differences like that.

Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
i agree it needs to be done correctly. So far from what i see just the back side of the rotor will be cooled down and frankly its concerning because half of the rotor will be cooled and the other half will get nothing I'm not even sure the metal used can tolerate temperatures differences like that.
Yup why I made the comment about uneven pad wear.

He probably has a sliver in the hat area for the air to squeak through like I did before I revised my setup. What would be more effective here would be to place the duct an inch or 2 away from the hat in hopes that Bernoulli's principle works with you to blow more air toward the hat than the duct itself can carry. Without a shroud, the effectiveness will be pretty limited anyway. I tried running street pads with proper ducting on the track and it was a mess, better off with good pads and zero ducting.
Exactly, the correct distance away it uses that effect.

Our C5Z06s have it from the factory, front and back..👍

Front is directly into the Rotor, rear comes in above the Caliper.

20230203_150326.jpg

Then again with that being said, Z06 is a 50/50 car whereas the Gbody is probably more 70/30 with the weight on the nose so cooling the front brakes would be beneficial if you were hardcore on the track with it. Rear would have very little effect.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

G Cutty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 21, 2022
This build was purely a fabrication practice, I think it looks super cool to see orange ducting going to big brakes.

I don’t race at all or plan too, the the ducting is probably doing more harm then benefit for my application. I know warm pads have more stopping power then cold ones.

And the ducting should probably be pointing towards the hat instead of rotor 🤷🏻‍♂️ The more you know.

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Looks good!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
🤷🏻‍♂️ The more you know.
In a roundabout way, your shot at brake ducting paid for some good info on brake ducting that people like me can now leech off of. lol

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
If you want to do it, need to figure out where you want to duct air in from the direct front of the car and it needs to be dumping directly into the center of the Rotor hat with the wheels straight. There's the objective.

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
that's not his only issue on hand, that is just the beginning of his journey of spending money and figuring out what brake compound he needs. if he is going to just drive around town licking a ice cream cone the variables are always different and cooler than track usage you already know your going to be in volcano mode :rofl:

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Hang one of these in fresh, clean air for your source.

Just make sure whatever pad you uses is in its happy temperature range.

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
Looks like an excellent fabrication effort. It looks great. Just remember it works better than nothing. Many of us don't have the deep pockets to do the R&D to quantify how much these improvements make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor