HELP BILSTEIN or KYB G????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It looks like the rubber bushings will take a sh*t before the actual shock will. I'm impressed that they lasted this long and haven't lost it's ride integrity.
I've also installed KYB Gas -adjusts in my old VW bus and my dad's old '71 Buick Skylark.

Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

druggles85

Pendejo
Oct 25, 2009
Exeter, NH
For the record, you can buy Bilstein shocks at rock about for about the same price as the KYB Gas-a-just costs at O'Reilly, or Autozone. So you can buy the good ones and feel like you're getting a deal.

I went with the KYB gas-a-just from rock, rears weren't always in stock but we're like $27 each with about $8 shipping on the pair.

My understanding that excel-g shocks are an oem equivalent and not really an upgrade.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
I think as long as you stick to some kind of monotube shock you will be happy. That's why monroes for gbodys are garbage, my 3 year old can compress a monroe twin tube shock, I damn near impaled myself compressing the kyb against the floor.

The monroe rep once told me that they are only like that out of the box for ease of installation, but I had at least 3000 miles on mine when I pulled them out, still felt like a slide whistle.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Last set of Bilsteins I bought of the internet from a google search and they were $10 Cheaper each than RA and had free shipping, but I have zero idea who they were.

Bilsteins give an excellent ride. On my lowered Buick, I've got cut 5662 (706"/bl) front spring, 1/2" taller LBJ's and S10 Extreme Bump stops and ride is excellent with no suspension bottoming in normal driving with 255/50's on GTA's. It should be harsh, but it is not.

86 t-type side s.JPG

Reactions: 8 users

Sodee

Greasemonkey
Feb 1, 2018
Another vote for Bilsteins.. I already have them on order. I have a friend who has them and I was sold. I havent been able to compare them to anything else but whatever came on my cutlass, which is probably oem or worse.

UNGN: That is perfect.. What do you have in the rear?

Last set of Bilsteins I bought of the internet from a google search and they were $10 Cheaper each than RA and had free shipping, but I have zero idea who they were.

Bilsteins give an excellent ride. On my lowered Buick, I've got cut 5662 (706"/bl) front spring, 1/2" taller LBJ's and S10 Extreme Bump stops and ride is excellent with no suspension bottoming in normal driving with 255/50's on GTA's. It should be harsh, but it is not.

View attachment 158172

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Back when I started working on my 81 I bought a set of KYBs. I think I bought them from PST. Not sure though. Theyre still on the car and theyre still perfect. They were white back when I bought them.
When it came time to buy shocks for the wagon I bought a second set from a local auto parts store. I installed them and the car sat on jack stands through the Winter into the Spring. It was just before it went into the bodyshop. Long story short, all 4 shocks lost their charge. Not sure why. Maybe from being extended for that long.

H33ZY

Greasemonkey
Mar 6, 2019
I have 3"Lowering Springs and im very happy with my KYB-Gas-a-just.
Didn't lose any ride quality over the last 2 years. Just went to inspection (every 2 years in germany) and no complaints there.
It sure is a harder ride but what to expect with 3" lowering. Other than that i love the ride quality with those shocks and would buy them again without a second thought.

120297252_3307085036052342_4988321499398289799_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor