HELP BILSTEIN or KYB G????

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Another vote for Bilsteins.. I already have them on order. I have a friend who has them and I was sold. I havent been able to compare them to anything else but whatever came on my cutlass, which is probably oem or worse.

UNGN: That is perfect.. What do you have in the rear?

In the Rear I have an ATR rear sway bar and aftermarket springs that were dealer installed in 1986. I have no idea what they are. The Dealer installed Aftermarket sway bar was broke when I bought the car from a friend of the original owners in 1995. The original owner bought the car for his wife.

"86 Turbo Regals were some of the lowest factory G-bodies.

My 25K mile '86 GN was maybe only an inch higher in back:

Leftreareaglegt.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I used KYBs for many years when my SS was the daily driver in the Michigan roads. Went to Bils when I did the off frame. Both are good, comes down to $.

Reactions: 1 user

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
the big question that noone seemed to touch is what is your intended use of the car? what type of ride are you looking for? i have an 81 malibu wagon on bilsteins and an 83 malibu wagon on belltech street scene shocks. the 81 with bilsteins is defenitly more complient when cruising but not mushy. when pushed they will firm up in turns a little more. now my 83 with the belltech different story. ride is much stiffer more sporty. you will notice every bump alot more. for me that is my my daily and i am use to that type of harshness from my 02 blazer xtreme. the belltechs will be pretty close to price of the kyb's . the bilsteins can be pricey but i would defenitly purchase another set. i do rack up alot of miles. i have over 12,000 miles on the81 with bilsteins over a 7 year period and about 20-23,000 on the 83 with belltechs in 2 years.

Reactions: 1 user

Macguyver

SOUTHSIDE MACHINE PERFORMANCE
GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
We have used both over the last few decades and both are a good improvement over stock twin tubes for a street car. The KYB gas-a-just are a night and day improvement over stock with a great ride and progressive valving. The bilstien OE replacements are a solid step over the kyb gas-a-just (and twice the money). We have found the Bilstien AK series are absolutely great for the all out performance enthousiast on a budget.

Reactions: 3 users

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
I replaced my springs and shocks.. went with 15x10's in the back, 15x7's in the front.

Raised the back about an inch... nice little stance.

I used Moog springs - stock in rear, stiffer in front. This raised the front an inch, but levelled out the stance.. yeah, theres a little more gap above the front tires than I prefer, but there just might be a 400 in its future replacing the 305, so... prepared for that, lets say...

Shocks were Monroe Load Adjusting.

Stiffened up the ride. Not ultra-stiff, but stiff.. there is still ride comfort to it, just not... Floaty, Cloud Ride...

My GP has the handling option (F R Sway Bars - F41? I dont remember) and there is no body roll in curves, no nose-dive stopping, and no squatting on launch..

Just the way I wanted.

-Gonz

Reactions: 1 users

cruisincarlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 3, 2020
If you have ever installed both brands, Bilstein is bigger in diameter and provides a smoother ride.

The Bilstein shocks will barely fit through the factory's lower arm. I've had both and enjoy the Bilsteins more

Reactions: 2 users

Rigo’s87

Greasemonkey
Aug 31, 2019
Houston, Texas
Well I went with the Gas A just, front ones just arrived.

Attachments

• BA82F52F-2DE7-43EA-A2A5-BB7366010123.jpeg
    BA82F52F-2DE7-43EA-A2A5-BB7366010123.jpeg
    890.9 KB · Views: 93
Reactions: 2 users

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
I don think there is a better "stamped" body shock than a bilstein. They invented "deflective disc" technology after all.

Even the high end machined body stuff is really good

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor