Bilstein shock differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
As long as the 5660 spring doesn't go above the stock ride height, it should work. The 5660 springs that I'm going to use have had 1 coil removed.

1 coil on a 5660 is a 4" drop

this is my GP with 5660 springs cut 2/3 of a coil with 1/2" tall lower ball joint

IMG_20150822_112343 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Glad this topic came up....I'm in the same boat. I have 5660's with 1/4 coil cut and trying to choose between Bilsteins B6 24-009492 (says fits my car) and their AK 1051 (says fits A/G body, but lists up to 83 Malibu only, but I figure it's same same)
Guys, given the car is for cruising with occasional spirited cornering, what would you recommend?

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
FWIW Rick, I'm probably going with the B series (not the AK).
Thanks Jeff, given the previous info in this thread, I'm wary of winding up with a too soft/too hard situation. Obviously I'd prefer to get it right the first time. Maybe I'm over thinking it.....

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Glad this topic came up....I'm in the same boat. I have 5660's with 1/4 coil cut and trying to choose between Bilsteins B6 24-009492 (says fits my car) and their AK 1051 (says fits A/G body, but lists up to 83 Malibu only, but I figure it's same same)
Guys, given the car is for cruising with occasional spirited cornering, what would you recommend?

the AK 1051 fits the A/G body from 73 to 88. I use the AK cause it is linear and I like to know how the shock is going to react instead of the shock figuring out how to react. With the anti dive set up on a G body I like the high rate of rebound on the shock I use so the front end will come up as low as possible when cornering and will slowly transfer the weight to the back, the rates of the shock I have is 393 rebound, 172 comp. The AK comes in two different lengths so you can use the shorter on for a lowered car. There are other linear Bilstein shocks to choose from for a G body, scroll down the page in the link

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Bils...Front-Stock-Shock-Comp-172-Reb-393,33633.html

Last edited:
  • Informative

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
the AK 1051 fits the A/G body from 73 to 88. I use the AK cause it is linear and I like to know how the shock is going to react instead of the shock figuring out how to react. With the anti dive set up on a G body I like the high rate of rebound on the shock I use so the front end will come up as low as possible when cornering and will slowly transfer the weight to the back, the rates of the shock I have is 393 rebound, 172 comp. The AK comes in two different lengths so you can use the shorter on for a lowered car. There are other linear Bilstein shocks to choose from for a G body, scroll down the page in the link

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Bils...Front-Stock-Shock-Comp-172-Reb-393,33633.html

Great info Steve, had no idea there were so many options....now I have more decisions to make lol.
Steve, are you still running the 5660 with 2/3 cut?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Great info Steve, had no idea there were so many options....now I have more decisions to make lol.
Steve, are you still running the 5660 with 2/3 cut?

yes I am still running that set up. I have a slight advantage with setting these cars up since I have a few years experience in racing G bodies on an asphalt oval . We spent many hours testing different springs and shocks and had input from some very experienced people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor