Bit The Bullet And Now I'm An "Official" Old Guy

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Well hell, I thought you (69hurstolds ) were 28 years old.

Learn something new every day.
My wife thinks I'm 8 sometimes. Often she tells me I need to grow up. Whatever that means. :) I always respond with "why?"

It took me 28 years just to figure out some of the GM parts system, and I'm still befuddled sometimes.

And you can always learn something new every day, no matter how old you get.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
And you can always learn something new every day, no matter how old you get.

And if you make it a few more years down the path you can learn the same thing every day... like how to put pants on? Or after someone uses a microwave what your name is?

• Scared
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
I thought you were gunna say you bought some White New Balances for grilling to go with your White New Balances for cutting the grass. :LOL:

Congrats on getting the benefits that are owed to you, hopefully the remainder of the process is smooth and easy. I'm so far from SS age that I doubt it will be a thing by the time I qualify. Id hope there'd be some kind of lump sum payout for what I've paid into the system up until that time but thats me being idealistic.

• Haha

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
And if you make it a few more years down the path you can learn the same thing every day... like how to put pants on? Or after someone uses a microwave what your name is?
You find out that your brain is more like a memory card in a dash cam. Once you fill it up with sh*t you likely don't need, you start replacing the old useless sh*t you learned with useless new sh*t. The problem is, the new stuff you learn, or at least remember, is pretty useless stuff that nobody else cares about. So when you re-learn to put on pants, it's exciting.

Always remember- yellow in front, brown in back.

79tu5k.jpg

• Haha

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
You find out that your brain is more like a memory card in a dash cam. Once you fill it up with sh*t you likely don't need, you start replacing the old useless sh*t you learned with useless new sh*t. The problem is, the new stuff you learn, or at least remember, is pretty useless stuff that nobody else cares about. So when you re-learn to put on pants, it's exciting.

Always remember- yellow in front, brown in back.

79tu5k.jpg
Is the rv fire something that happens when the decal printing gets out of hand and overheats?

I get the gun with the whole 'off my yard' thing, but, those aren't white and navy new balances....

Oldcarjunkie

Greasemonkey
Feb 4, 2022
Fate,Texas
I just turned 79. I've been retired over 23 years. I can still put on my own pants. Sitting down of course.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Well, that didn't take long...oh wait, it did. :)

I got a call earlier today from SSA, and I wanted to make sure it was them before I gave them any info, and she asked me if I submitted an application on Feb 1, 2023 for SS benefits, wanting them to start in June 2023. Well, only me and that application knew that, so I know they weren't BS'ing me. I'm thinking crap, the website says "2 to 4 weeks" for approval, and here it's been about 7 weeks now. And now they're going to tell me something is messed up with the application.

First, she apologized for it taking a while. She said they've been overloaded for over 6 months now with applications and they're finally getting most of the decisions made and applications processed under 2 months now. All she wanted was to know when I wanted my benefits to start and that I had the option to start them right now. Also, my first check would come on the 2nd Wednesday in July (July 12) and every subsequent month it would come on the 2nd Wednesday of the month and then she told me the amount (which was exactly what the SSA estimator said it would be on the website). That was it. No, I wanted it to start in June. That would be fine. She said she'd approve it today. I just checked online a few minutes ago and it showed it was approved! I should get a confirmation letter in the mail within 10-15 days.

My new gage for inflation- how long will it take now for a McRib meal to cost me my entire SS check? My BIL went there the other day and his Big Mac meal he got cost around 10 bucks with tax. Yikes!

So if you've applied, or will be applying anytime soon, just keep in mind it might take nearly 2 months to get a decision.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I took it 62. That is at least 4 years of income you will lose depending on when you were born to be 66 and x months. RMDs is another story! They will kill you at tax time if you/wife have them. Higher tax bracket here we are!

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yeah, RMD's are going to hit hard once that time comes because we haven't touched our 401Ks, and regular IRAs. Thankfully I had started a Roth IRA but it's not flush with cash. At least (not yet anyway) they don't have any RMDs on a Roth.

The problem with years of pack-rat style of saving and being financially "responsible" has really screwed up our psyche. We suffer from "Savings PTSD". Now that we have a healthy nest egg, we don't really know how to allocate it without feeling like we're just blowing it on something we don't really need. I mean, we still owe 0.00% interest on her car loan, I owe $583 on the 3.1% truck loan I'm going to end up paying off WAY early, then it's all paid for, and no house payment. So we basically only have living expenses and property taxes. I thought I would buy a bunch more car parts after retirement, but not really. I might find a trinket or two here and there, but what I need, I pretty much already have. I keep thinking well, maybe if one of us, or God forbid both of us, get all fugged up and have to live in a nursing home one of these days, we'll need money for that, but I just don't know.

Now I know why some of these old farts, er, OLDER farts buy new Corvettes and putt them around. Because you gotta do something with it.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Yeah, RMD's are going to hit hard once that time comes because we haven't touched our 401Ks, and regular IRAs. Thankfully I had started a Roth IRA but it's not flush with cash. At least (not yet anyway) they don't have any RMDs on a Roth.

The problem with years of pack-rat style of saving and being financially "responsible" has really screwed up our psyche. We suffer from "Savings PTSD". Now that we have a healthy nest egg, we don't really know how to allocate it without feeling like we're just blowing it on something we don't really need. I mean, we still owe 0.00% interest on her car loan, I owe $583 on the 3.1% truck loan I'm going to end up paying off WAY early, then it's all paid for, and no house payment. So we basically only have living expenses and property taxes. I thought I would buy a bunch more car parts after retirement, but not really. I might find a trinket or two here and there, but what I need, I pretty much already have. I keep thinking well, maybe if one of us, or God forbid both of us, get all fugged up and have to live in a nursing home one of these days, we'll need money for that, but I just don't know.

Now I know why some of these old farts, er, OLDER farts buy new Corvettes and putt them around. Because you gotta do something with it.

Corvette, huh? So the New Balances aren't that far off after all.

• Haha

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor