Black Interior

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbodyaddict

Apprentice
Dec 9, 2008
Oakland, Ca (Bay Area)
T-TOP TONY said:
Well finished painting my upper door panels. Hope you guys like them.

IMG_0598.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

what do you mean hope...thats off the scale...

buickestate

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2006
London Ontario
nawlins-tim said:
You mean NO g-body of any year came in black?

Black was the default colour with vinyl as the default fabric for the interiors in the late 70's and early 80's, back then you got to pick your interior colours/fabrics. Back in the day you had to pick the interior colour, your seat belt colours and floor mat colours, and if you failed to check the coloured keyed seat belt box on the order form you got black seat belts regardless of the interior colour.

Look at any vintage sales brochures and you will see the interior colour options. back then there were no such thing as option package, you could pick and choose as many or as few options as you wanted. Dealers would often order in a few cars in colours and with options they hope would appeal to most potential buyers.

Being the default interior colour, for many reasons very few cars got black interiors in the day. Mainly being that those people who bought our cars new thought that a black interior would get too hot once the sun hit it. Though I find my 80 Malibu Classis Landau coupe with it's cloth dark claret interior to be just as hot as the black interior in my 79 Malibu Classic coupe. Many people back then thought that Tan was the interior colour that stayed the coolest in the sun, hence why there seems to be more tan interiors.

By the mid 80's option packages began and with that interior colours shifted to dark blues, burgundys, tans, and greys.

T-TOP TONY

Master Mechanic
Jun 13, 2008
san bernardino, ca
Donutboy97 said:
very sweet!!! I like the cutlass door panels. How did you attach the SS emblems?

Thanks! Just with some 3M double sided tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor