Blazer brake upgrade help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkwb100

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 7, 2019
Sugar Land, Texas
I have my El Camino apart replacing the stock single piston brakes with the Blazer dual piston upgrade. My brake pads did NOT come with a hardware kit. I purchased a kit from AutoZone yesterday; it has only small clips labeled "L" & "R" for the ends of the brake pads. There is no metal clip to use for attaching the piston to the inboard pad. Nor is there any type of anti rattle clip?

Using the supplied small clips the pad fits tight into the the caliper pad holder. Is this all I need? is the tightness ok?

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Clark...the end clips are all that's needed to install new pads into those calipers. I recently did this upgrade to my '87 and used reman calipers from Autozone. I don't recall having any extra parts lying around after the job.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
There are two corrugated stainless clips that tuck into grooves in the calipers so the pads can slide inward as they wear down.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
If the last time the brake fluid was changed was uncertain, yes, bleed and flush the whole system. Two-person fill/bleed and pump or use a vacuum pump to pull the old fluid out at each corner.

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Hey, what are a few minutes when it comes to your braking system? Since you're already dirty, take the time to make sure there is not air in the lines all around.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Clarkwb100

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 7, 2019
Sugar Land, Texas
If the last time the brake fluid was changed was uncertain, yes, bleed and flush the whole system. Two-person fill/bleed and pump or use a vacuum pump to pull the old fluid out at each corner.
Thanks for the reply. I used "Speed Bleeders" and did it myself! Great product, would recommend for every brake job, another $12 for each axel.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor