blazer rear end

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightemup2

Master Mechanic
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
ok so i was talking to a buddy of mine, who has a 79 cutlass calais, and i was telling him how i want to put an 8.5 rear end in mine, he was telling me that the s10 blazers had an 8.5 in them, and its the same size as the g-body 8.5,.. all i would have todo is remount all the mouts from my 7.5 onto the blazer rear end,... i want to know if that would really work, and if its worth doing

carpenter383

Apprentice
Jan 22, 2011
s-10 Blazers use 7.5 rears, Full size blazers use 8.5 rear ends, but it wouldn't be very practical to convert one.

yourownself

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2008
stoughton, ma
some of the s10's and s10 blazers did come with the 8.5. that being said, there are better and less expensive ways to upgrade your rear end.

lightemup2

Master Mechanic
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
yourownself said:
some of the s10's and s10 blazers did come with the 8.5. that being said, there are better and less expensive ways to upgrade your rear end.

how would i go about doingthat? i want an 8.5 (but cant find any) cuz i keep blowing my 7.5's how can i upgrade?

Chris Van

G-Body Guru
Nov 8, 2009
Middle Ga.
yourownself said:

I'm certainly no expert by any means but I honestly never knew that or even heard of that. Either way though, would it be possible to mount the upper control arms on the cast housings?

Keep your eye out for the 8.5 they are out there, you just gotta find em at the right time and have the money in your pocket or just bite the bullet and invest in a 9 inch.

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
The S-10s and Blazers with the ZR2 Off Road package got the 8.5, but again, there's no ears for the upper control arms.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
pontiacgp said:
the S-10 rear end is about 4 inches shorter than a rear end in the G body..

First, the S-trucks use LEAF SPRINGS. The axles do not have the ears for the control arms. Second, the S-trucks used two different axle widths, 54" for the 2WD trucks and 58" for the 4WD trucks.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Also, the 7.5" S-10 used the centrifical part time posi that is great in mud and snow, but not for hard use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor