Blew The Motor :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

gotmonte

Apprentice
May 24, 2009
Well after months and months of buying parts and looking for the right people to install them. I finally got the car out of the shop! Guy did a fantastic job on the install of motor/trans/fabricated shifter/gauges/vacuum canister/Koni SA Shocks All four/Eibach Lowering springs front and rear/headers/custom 2.5 inch true dual over the axle exhaust with DynoMax Bullet mufflers and Monte SS Style outlet pips.

I take it out of the shop. Pouring rain of course. The brakes didnt seem that great to me but I wanted to upgrade to a 12 or 13 inch Disk Braking Setup in the summer. The steering felt very Very Loose and thats with the SS Steering Box so I dont understand that part. Well, I need gas. I go down the road some and fill up with 93 octant. I then go off slowly and caustiously towards home. I never got on the car for fear of losing control (I just totalled my last Monte losing control due to some schmuck cutting me off) and I get about 2 blocks away from my house and I hear BAM! A HHUUUUGGGEEE EXPLOSION under the hood. I jerked the wheel thats how loud this thing was. Immediately smoke everywhere! Couldnt even see in the cockpit thats how bad it was. And to make matters worse, my friend who was supposed to follow me home incase something DID go wrong, got lost and didnt know where the hell he was (he's from the city and I am in the tumbleweeds of Long Island). I tried to limp the car the two blocks to my house. Wrong thing to do!

Car ends up sounding like a Big Diesel truck and when I tried to shut it off, it just kept running and dieseling until it shut off on its own. Ok, now I definatley know something is terribly wrong. I lift the hood and the Radiator Hose is Busted IN TWO PIECES! and of course the fluid is what was smoking everywhere. Fluid is all over the engine compartment. I realized the waterpump shim got out of whack and flung a belt which knocked all the other belts off and one of them severed the radiator hose in two. The engine temperature PINNED and the Oil Pressure DROPPED to Zero. I shouldnt have tried to limp her home. Completely my fault.

The waterpump was off of this motor that was in my last car that I totaled. So, we think maybe the water pump was damaged or something and thats why it did what it did. I towed it to the shop, where they went and told me the ALUMINUM HEADS gasket was blown. I knew right there the heads were warped! I could have sent the heads off to a machinest to see, but I knew it in my heart. The heads were AFR 2.10 heads and cost 3 thousand dollars at the time. On my 406, it was the only thing that was really worth MUCH. So I decided to sell the car.

My mechanic called me today and asked what I wanted to do. I said, Sir... lets sell her. He said no problem and within 2 hours I had cash in my hand and some lucky kid is walking away with a great deal. I sold it for peanuts cause I have been so stressed over this Monte for so long. I just needed to walk away. I am going to purchase a 98-02 F-Body. Go back to my roots. My first car was a 1st Gen camaro and my rear race car was the 01 camaro SS with a REALLY BUILT 408 that was built for a 300 shot wet all day long. I just never got to enjoy it. I sold that as well as it was exiting the shop after 8 months and about 25 thousand dollars later. And I took a tremendous hit on that as well!! Boy I dont win do I? LOL!

Anyways, car is sold. And I no longer have a G-Body. I really appreciate all your help on these boards and for you guys taking me in and under your wings with such honesty and truism. Thank You.

Dont forget to check out the FOR SALE Forum as I am selling a bunch of stuff that was supposed to go into the Monte but never made it to there. 12 bolts/ Awesome Head Deck Stereo/DynoMax UltraFlow Welded 16" mufflers/Morel Speakers 6x9's/700R4 Transmission DipStick and Tube Lokar type/ect ect

Reactions: 1 user

1985Chevycutlass

Apprentice
Feb 4, 2009
:shock: damn, sorry about your bad experience. I know how it feels believe me. I bought a high performance motor from a trusted friend (i thought he was a trusted friend) and $3500 and not even a year later my gbodys heads are shot also. Guess these things just happen. I Feel your pain.

gotmonte

Apprentice
May 24, 2009
No stress.. Sold the sucker and bought a 2000 Camaro SS in really nice condition. White with charcoal grey leather interior. Completely stock.

Added GMMG catback and soon to be ARH headers and Y pipe. Than on to the cam and heads.

I just went back to my old roots. The LS1's are a blast to mod. You breathe on them, and they make power.

Wish I could just buy a 67 Camaro like I always wanted. I had a 69 in PRESTINE condition, but sold it to get my house. I guess it was the right choice. Atleast thats what the wife keeps telling me lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor